Measuring 3 Phase Power Using Wattmeter Methods

In summary, the conversation discusses the measurement of 3 phase power using 2 and 3 wattmeter methods. The participants also share links and information on how these methods work and the different configurations of 3 phase power.
ng
Hi all,

3 phase power is measured using 2 and 3 wattmeter methods.Correct?
can someone explain how these 2 work?I cudn get enuf info on it.

Engineering news on Phys.org
This might be helpful.

Regards

hey dlgoff

thanx a lot.i shall look into each link and hopefully find what i am loking for and more.
Thanx a loooooot!

It depends: if the phases are balanced and the power facter is 1, you could measure the amperage across one phase and voltage between two of them (I think - it might be phase to ground, though). If they aren't, you can measure each phase's amperage and each phase to phase voltage. There's probably a shortcut to that, but I don't remember it. Lemme see if I can dig up a wattmeter wiring diagram...

http://www.amprobe.com/manuals/ampKilowattHourMeter.pdf [Broken] is a manual for a wattmeter showing different wiring configurations...

I'm a little thin on the different configurations of 3 phase power...

Last edited by a moderator:
thanx a lot russ,i really needed this.
:smile:

1. What is 3 phase power and why is it important to measure?

3 phase power is a type of electrical power distribution system that utilizes three alternating currents, with each current phase being offset by 120 degrees. It is important to measure 3 phase power because it is commonly used in industrial and commercial settings, and accurately measuring it can help ensure efficient and safe operation of electrical equipment.

2. How does a wattmeter measure 3 phase power?

A wattmeter measures 3 phase power by using the principles of electromagnetism. It consists of two coils, one fixed and one movable, that are placed in the path of the electrical current. The movable coil is connected to a needle that moves along a scale, indicating the power being measured.

3. What are the different methods of measuring 3 phase power using a wattmeter?

There are two main methods of measuring 3 phase power using a wattmeter: the 2-wattmeter method and the 3-wattmeter method. The 2-wattmeter method involves using two wattmeters to measure the power in each of the three phases, while the 3-wattmeter method uses three wattmeters to directly measure the power in each phase.

4. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each wattmeter method for measuring 3 phase power?

The 2-wattmeter method is simpler and more cost-effective, but it may not provide accurate measurements if the three phases are not balanced. The 3-wattmeter method is more accurate and can be used for both balanced and unbalanced systems, but it is more complex and expensive.

5. Are there any other factors to consider when using a wattmeter to measure 3 phase power?

Yes, there are a few other factors that can affect the accuracy of wattmeter measurements, such as power factor, harmonics, and phase shifts. These factors should be taken into account and appropriate corrections should be applied to the wattmeter readings for more precise measurements.