How Do You Calculate Mass and Spring Constant from Oscillation Period Changes?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a problem in which an unknown mass M is discovered to have a period of oscillation of 1 second using a spring of unknown spring constant K. When 200gms were added to the initial mass, the period of oscillation increased by 0.6 seconds. The formula T=2pi(sq.rt[M/K]) is suggested, but the solution for M cannot be obtained. Through further discussion and calculations, it is determined that the solution can be found by squaring both sides of the equation and solving for m. This results in a simple linear equation for m, providing the solution to the problem.
izmeh
In a lab write up, i am given the following problem.

An unkown mass M is found to have a period of oscillation of 1 second using a spring of unkown spring constant K. When 200gms were added to the initial mass, the period of oscillation increased by 0.6 seconds. Determin the unkwon mass M(gms) and the Spring Constant K(N/m).

I am not very good at working with problems that have 2 variables. I have come up with a formula however.

T=2pi(sq.rt[M/K])
1 = 2pi(sq.rt[M/K])
1.6 = 2pi(sq.rt[m+.2]/K]
1/1.6 = sq.rt[m/m+.2]

however, i can not for the life of me figure out how to get the answer for M for this.

Is anyone willing to help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
square both sides & solve for m

m cancels out

Try it again. It doesn't cancel out.

You're now starting from this line right?
1/1.6 = sq.rt[m/m+.2]
How can m cancel out? When you square it, the right side becomes m/(m+.2).

(If you still can't get it, post what you're doing so we can find the error.)

.625² = sq.rt[m/m+.2]
.391 = m/m+0.2
.391(m+.2) = M
.391m + .078 = m

and so on...

Yes, so?

Now you have a simple linear equation for m. There's no way that m cancels out. Finish it & you'll have your solution.

1. What is a spring constant?

The spring constant, also known as the force constant, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It represents the amount of force required to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance.

2. How is spring constant calculated?

The spring constant can be calculated by dividing the force applied to the spring by the displacement caused by the force. This is represented by the equation k = F/x, where k is the spring constant, F is the force, and x is the displacement.

3. What is the unit of spring constant?

The unit of spring constant depends on the units used for force and displacement. In the SI system, it is measured in Newtons per meter (N/m). In the Imperial system, it is measured in pounds-force per inch (lbf/in).

4. How does spring constant affect the behavior of a spring?

A higher spring constant indicates a stiffer spring, meaning it requires more force to stretch or compress the spring. This also means that the spring will have a higher restoring force, causing it to return to its original state more quickly and with more force.

5. Can the spring constant of a spring change?

The spring constant of a spring can change if the physical properties of the spring, such as its length or material, are altered. However, for an ideal spring (one with no mass and perfectly elastic), the spring constant remains constant regardless of the force applied to it.