Making a Rocket Car or Boat - Tips and Ideas

In summary, the speaker used to do model rocketry but has given it up for some time. While rummaging through old stuff, they found about 10 C-sized motors and began thinking of what they could do with them. They are considering making a simple rocket car or boat if they find spare time, but are seeking tips to prevent the rocket from flipping over. The speaker also mentions that a C motor generates 5lb of thrust and expresses regret for not keeping their old rockets for a potential synchronized display.
Saoist
i used to do model rocketry but have given it up for some time...i was rummaging through old stuff and found about 10 C-sized motors and began thinking what i could do with them.

if i find some spare time i might make a simple rocket car or rocket boat. however, do ppl have tips (other than putting a big inverted aerofoil on the car/boat) so it doesn't do this? ---> http://www.big-boys.com/articles/rocketcar.html

Physics news on Phys.org
Uh, well, a power to weight ratio below 1 will at least keep it near the ground...

IIRC, a C motor generates like 5lb of thrust.

wish the folks hadnt chucked my old rockets in a box in the attic...would've been cool to do a synched display of all of them with synchronised ignition...bit like the shuttle takeoffs in armegeddon, without all the yelling from willis.

1. How do you make a rocket car or boat?

Making a rocket car or boat requires a lot of planning and proper safety measures. First, you will need a sturdy and lightweight structure for your vehicle. You can use materials like aluminum, carbon fiber, or fiberglass. Then, you will need to install a powerful rocket engine, which can be purchased or homemade. Next, you will need to design and attach a steering system and brakes. Lastly, make sure to test your vehicle in a safe and open area.

2. What type of rocket engine should I use for my rocket car or boat?

The type of rocket engine you use will depend on the size and weight of your vehicle. It is important to choose an engine that can provide enough thrust to move your vehicle, but not too much that it becomes uncontrollable. You can choose between solid fuel or liquid fuel rocket engines, both of which have their own advantages and disadvantages.

3. How do I ensure the safety of my rocket car or boat?

Safety should be the top priority when making a rocket car or boat. First, make sure to thoroughly research and understand the potential risks and hazards involved. Always wear proper safety gear, such as goggles, gloves, and a helmet. It is also important to have a designated launch and testing area that is away from people and buildings. Lastly, have a fire extinguisher nearby in case of any accidents.

4. Can I make a rocket car or boat without any prior knowledge or experience?

While it is not impossible to make a rocket car or boat without any prior knowledge or experience, it is highly recommended to have some basic understanding of mechanics and engineering. It is also important to have a clear plan and design before starting the project. It is always a good idea to seek the help and guidance of a professional or experienced individual.

5. Are there any legal restrictions or regulations for making a rocket car or boat?

Yes, there may be legal restrictions and regulations for making a rocket car or boat, depending on your location. It is important to research and comply with any laws or permits required for launching and testing a rocket vehicle. Additionally, it is important to consider the safety of those around you and obtain permission from the necessary authorities before testing your vehicle.