Help with this physics problem

• Thread starter Janzen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the question asks for the minimum deceleration required for a car traveling at 35 mi/h to come to a stop on a 35 meter shoulder of the road. To solve this, the average speed of the car is calculated to be 26.25 km/h, which is equivalent to 7.29166 m/s. Using the formula v_2^2 = v_1^2 + 2ad, it is determined that the car must decelerate at a rate of >7 m/s to stop in time.
Janzen
Hey just starting physics and i am lost. This is the problem:
A car traveling 35 mi/h is to stop on a 35 meter long shoulder of the road. What minimum deceleration is required?

If you could type out How you would this is would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
okay well 1st of all convert mi/h to km/h because the stopping area is given in metres.

The question essentially asks how rapidly must the car decelerate in order to reach a velocity of 0 over 35 metres.

Well the average speed the car will have is 1/2 its initial velocity if we take decleration to be uniform. Therefore, using 1 mi = 1.5 k, the car will have an average speed of 26.25 km/h.

This is equivalent to 437.5m/minute or 7.29166m/second.

Therefore the car will cover the 35 metres in <5seconds.

Therefore the car must decelerate at >7m/s to stop in time

You might also find this formula to be very useful
[tex]v_2^2 = v_1^2 + 2ad[/tex]

1. What is the best approach to solving this physics problem?

The best approach to solving any physics problem is to first carefully read and understand the problem statement. Then, identify what is given and what is being asked for. Next, use relevant equations and principles to solve for the unknown variable. Finally, check your answer and make sure it is reasonable and makes sense in the context of the problem.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

To improve your problem-solving skills in physics, practice is key. Start by mastering the fundamentals and understanding the basic principles and equations. Then, try solving a variety of problems to challenge yourself and gain more experience. Also, don't be afraid to seek help from a teacher or tutor if you are struggling with a particular concept or problem.

3. How do I know which equation to use for a specific problem?

When solving a physics problem, it is important to carefully read and understand the problem statement. Then, identify what is given and what is being asked for. Next, use relevant equations and principles that directly relate to the given information. If you are unsure, you can also try using different equations and see which one gives you the correct answer.

4. What should I do if I am stuck on a physics problem?

If you are stuck on a physics problem, try taking a break and coming back to it with a fresh mind. You can also try breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts. Alternatively, you can seek help from a teacher or tutor, or try looking for similar problems and studying their solutions to gain a better understanding of the concept.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve physics problems?

Yes, calculators can be used to solve physics problems. However, it is important to make sure you are using the correct formulas and units, and to double check your answers for accuracy. Additionally, some exams or assignments may not allow the use of calculators, so it is important to practice solving problems by hand as well.