Recent developments in food irradiation?

• Thread starter pivoxa15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Food
In summary, food irradiation is a process where food is exposed to high energy electrons or gamma radiation in order to kill microorganisms that can cause spoilage. There have not been too many recent developments in food irradiation, as it is mainly used for food safety purposes. However, there is a test that you can conduct yourself to see the effects of irradiation on food.
pivoxa15
I am find it amazing that removing some electrons from foods can preserve the food for a longer period of time. So I am just curious about some of the recent developments in food irradiation.

Engineering news on Phys.org
pivoxa15 said:
I am find it amazing that removing some electrons from foods can preserve the food for a longer period of time. So I am just curious about some of the recent developments in food irradiation.

Food irradiation doesn't preserve food. It just kills any microorganisms (bacteria, germs, etc) that are present on the food and cause it to spoil. There really haven't been too many developments in food irradiation. Food is placed on a conveyor belt and run through the irradiator where it is exposed to either x-rays or gamma rays from a Co-60 source.

pivoxa15 said:

From what I understand, Is, the Gamma Radiation destroys Genetic code of a tissue that is exposed to it, Not only the bacteria but also trace amounts of the genetics in the food are also altered, I don't know if this is harmful, but it doesn't seemed to be since I have eaten radiated chicken for years.

You can setup a test.

build yourself a breadbox with a UUV light bulb installed inside it.

Place a piece of fruit in the breadbox with the UUV light inside.
Place an identical piece of fruit outside the box for a controlled experiment that isn't influenced by the UUV light.

Which one of the fruits will decay fastest?

Try this with more breadboxes with different light bulbs of various light frequencies, Infrared, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet, UUV with close proximity of a pure frequency range.

It would be a nice experiement to conduct for a school project and find the results in a controlled enviroment. :smile:

Intuitive said:
From what I understand, Is, the Gamma Radiation destroys Genetic code of a tissue that is exposed to it, Not only the bacteria but also trace amounts of the genetics in the food are also altered, I don't know if this is harmful, but it doesn't seemed to be since I have eaten radiated chicken for years.

Intuitive,

The gamma radiation may break down some of the tissues - but so will your digestive system.

After all - when you eat a hamburger - the proteins in the meat are cow proteins.

Those proteins will be broken down to their amino acid building blocks, which is what
you absorb. Your body, under the direction of your DNA; uses those amino acid building
blocks to assemble into human proteins.

Dr. Gregory Greenman
Physicist

I have read in books that e-beam machines are used to bombard food with high energy electrons. This by itself destroys the microorganisms but when the electrons hit a heavy metal, it declerates thereby emitting x rays. This x ray also kills microoragnisms. So you could do these things at the same time with one machine or would you separate those two methods?

What is food irradiation?

Food irradiation is a process that uses ionizing radiation to kill harmful bacteria and extend the shelf life of food. It does not make the food radioactive and is safe for consumption.

What are the benefits of food irradiation?

Food irradiation can reduce the risk of foodborne illnesses by killing harmful bacteria such as E. coli and Salmonella. It also helps preserve food for longer periods, reducing food waste and ensuring food safety.

Is food irradiation safe?

Yes, food irradiation is considered safe by many international organizations, including the World Health Organization and the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. It is also regulated and monitored by government agencies to ensure safety standards are met.

What foods can be irradiated?

Currently, only certain types of food can be irradiated, such as spices, fruits, vegetables, and meat products. The list of approved foods varies by country, and not all foods are suitable for irradiation.

What are the concerns surrounding food irradiation?

Some concerns include potential changes in the nutritional value of irradiated foods and the use of radiation by food manufacturers as a substitute for proper food handling and sanitation practices. However, extensive research has shown that food irradiation does not significantly affect the nutritional value of food, and it is only used as an additional safety measure in the food production process.