Stuck on proof Proving cross product derivative

In summary, the conversation discusses methods for proving the cross product rule for derivatives. Different approaches are suggested, such as using the properties of the cross product or applying the usual rule for the derivative of a product of functions. The final method presented involves proving the rule for both the dot and cross product, with the only difference being the substitution of "dot" for "cross" in the proof.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone, I'm stuck on trying to prove the cross product rule for derivatives. I Have to add the right terms and its suppose to be easy but that's what i can't figure out! any help would be great! here is what I have:
http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/5540/opopo3ej.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
mr_coffee said:
Hello everyone, I'm stuck on trying to prove the cross product rule for derivatives. I Have to add the right terms and its suppose to be easy but that's what i can't figure out! any help would be great! here is what I have:
http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/5540/opopo3ej.jpg

One way (although not the nicest) is to write out the components and take the derivative.

[tex]u(t)=\left<x(t),y(t),z(t)\right>[/tex]

[tex]v(t)=\left<a(t),b(t),c(t)\right>[/tex]

...now take the cross product of these, and take the derivative. Once you're there, you can rearrange and get it to look like what you want.

Anyone know of a better way to do this?

Edit: Actually, use the properties of the cross product in your last equation (in the picture). Something can be said about the addition and subtraction you have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hint: change the signs of the middle 2 terms in your bottom line, and then take a common factor of v(t + h) out of the first 2 terms and a common factor of u(t) out of the last 2 terms.

Regards,
George

Well, you may write that the "ith" component of the cross product is

[itex] \bigl( \vec u \times \vec v \bigr)_i = \epsilon_{ijk} u_j v_k [/itex]

then you can use the usual rule for the derivative of a product of functions, so that the derivative of that is simply

[itex] \epsilon_{ijk} u_j^{'} v_k + \epsilon_{ijk} u_j v_k^{'} [/itex]

so that

[itex] \bigl( \vec u \times \vec v \bigr)^{'} = \vec u^{'} \times \vec v + \vec u \times \vec v^{'} [/itex]

QED.

If you are not allowed to use the fact that teh derivative of fg is f' g + fg', then you can just prove this as usual but applied on the expressions with the levi-civita tensor. That way, the proof is no more difficult than with a usual product of functions.

Patrick

Try this way:

[tex]y=f(t)=u(t)\cdot v(t) \hspace{2cm}\rightarrow \frac{dy}{dt}=u'(t)v(t) + v'(t)u(t) =\lim_{h\to 0} \frac{u(t+h)\cdot v(t+h) - u(t)\cdot v(t)}{h}[/tex]

[tex]= \lim_{h\to 0} \frac{u(t+h)\cdot v(t+h) - u(t)\cdot v(t)}{h} \hspace{1.5cm}\pm\frac{u(t+h)\cdot v(t)}{h}[/tex]

[tex]= \lim_{h\to 0} \frac{u(t+h)\cdot v(t+h) - u(t)\cdot v(t) + u(t+h)\cdot v(t) - u(t+h)\cdot v(t)}{h} [/tex]

[tex]=\lim_{h\to 0} \frac{u(t+h)\cdot\Bigl(v(t+h)-v(t)\Bigr) + v(t)\cdot\Bigl(u(t+h) - u(t)\Bigr)}{h} [/tex]

[tex]=v(t)\cdot\lim_{h\to 0} \frac{u(t+h)-u(t)}{h} + \lim_{h\to 0} u(t+h)\cdot \lim_{h\to 0} \frac{v(t+h)-v(t)}{h}[/tex]

[tex]= u'(t)\cdot v(t) + u(t)\cdot v'(t)[/tex]

:wink:
Regards
Roman

thaniks for the replies everyone, Roman, is that the proof for the dot product? Or did u mean to type cross prodcut?

its the proof for the dot and for the cross product. just change "dot" into "cross"

awesome thanks man!

wait, how is the dot prodcut the same as the cross product?

of course is the dot product not the same as the cross product, but the proof is the same

Ahh i c, it made sense once I looked back on it! Thanks Roman!

1. What is a cross product derivative?

A cross product derivative is a mathematical concept that describes the rate of change of a vector function with respect to another vector function. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the direction and magnitude of forces in three-dimensional space.

2. Why is it important to prove the cross product derivative?

Proving the cross product derivative is important to ensure the accuracy and validity of mathematical calculations involving vector functions. It also helps to deepen our understanding of the relationship between different vector quantities and their derivatives.

3. What are the steps involved in proving the cross product derivative?

The steps involved in proving the cross product derivative may vary depending on the specific problem, but generally involve using the definition of the derivative and properties of cross products to manipulate the given equations and arrive at the desired result.

4. Can the cross product derivative be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the concept of the cross product derivative can be extended to higher dimensions, such as four-dimensional space. However, the calculations may become more complex and require the use of advanced mathematical techniques.

5. How is the cross product derivative used in real-world applications?

The cross product derivative has many practical applications, such as in physics and engineering. It is used to calculate the torque on a rotating object, the magnetic field around a current-carrying wire, and the angular momentum of a spinning object, among others.