Advice on GR book specific to my needs

In summary, the stress energy tensor is a distribution of matter content obtained from the geometry and can be used to check for physical reasonability and calculate local energy and momentum densities. It can be found in any general relativity text.
robousy
Hi,

I am interested in what I can DO with the stress energy tensor once I've obtained it from a metric.

I am not so interested in the formal development, just a book or paper that shows what its good for.

I am interested in cosmology, specifically: brane worlds, brane gas cosmology, stability of compact extra dimensions and the casimir effect.

If anyone can reccomend a good pedagogical source not too dense in formalism then I'd like very much to hear from you!

:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Essentially what you have obtained is the "distribution of the matter content" [in terms of "matter fields"] obtained from the geometry. Probably the first thing you should do is to check that the stress energy is physically reasonable. Check whether it satisfies the "energy conditions" (See, e.g., http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_conditions ).

By appropriately contracting the stress-energy tensor with the 4-velocity (field) of some observer, you'll find the local energy and momentum densities of the matter that are seen by that person. You'll also get the stress tensor he observes (as it is usually defined in Newtonian treatments of elasticity and fluid mechanics). Any GR text should explain this.

1. What is the best GR book for beginners?

The best GR book for beginners depends on your specific needs and background knowledge. Some popular options include "A First Course in General Relativity" by Bernard Schutz and "Introducing Einstein's Relativity" by Ray d'Inverno.

2. Are there any GR books that focus on mathematical rigor?

Yes, "General Relativity: An Introduction for Physicists" by M. P. Hobson, G. P. Efstathiou, and A. N. Lasenby is known for its mathematical rigor and is often used as a textbook for advanced undergraduate or graduate courses.

3. Is there a GR book that explains the physical concepts without using complex mathematics?

"Gravity: An Introduction to Einstein's General Relativity" by James B. Hartle is a popular choice for its intuitive explanations and minimal use of mathematics. It is suitable for readers with little background in physics or mathematics.

4. Can you recommend a GR book for self-study?

"Spacetime and Geometry: An Introduction to General Relativity" by Sean Carroll is a comprehensive and well-written book that is suitable for self-study. It covers a wide range of topics and includes exercises and solutions.

5. Are there any GR books that cover both the theoretical and experimental aspects of general relativity?

"General Relativity for Mathematicians" by R. W. Wald is a comprehensive book that covers both the theoretical foundations and experimental evidence of general relativity. It is suitable for readers with a strong mathematical background.