Einstein's Big Idea: Oct 11 on PBS

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Idea
In summary, PBS will air an episode of "Einstein" on October 11th. It features scientists like Michael Faraday, Antoine-Laurent Lavoisier, James Clerk Maxwell, Emilie du Châtelet, Albert Einstein, and Lise Meitner. The show is also notable for its coverage of the scientific contributions of women in history.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
If you are in the US, or have access to Public Broacasting Station signal, you may want to mark your calendar or your TIVO for Oct. 11 next week.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/einstein/

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks! I'll have to see if my rabbit ears can pick that up!

I'll have to see if Access TV from Edmonton is going to be airing it. I don't get cable. If not, maybe I'll set up a VCR at the GF's neice's place and tape it from cable. Thanks for the heads-up.

Don't forget, for many parts of the country, this episode airs tonight!

Zz.

When can I watch it online?

c is for celeritas

Excellent video! caught it the other evening.. it is scheduled to air at least one more time this week (of Oct 11th). There were several scientists they mentioned, I was not aware of. Next time it airs, i'd like to tape it..
Here's one thing I learned.. Did you know that c comes from Latin celeritas for speed and now the universal symbol for speed of light in vacuum. Whereas in mid to late 1800s, the most common symbol for speed of light was V which Maxwell began using in 1865. Einstein even adopted this notation for his first few papers on relativity up to 1905. ref

Last edited:
i missed it

dang... will it air again for a second time?

check your local listings..(try link that robphy gave) It is scheduled to air several more times this weekend.

Here are some of the scientists they highlighted. Each of their contributions were unique and important leading to the discovery (or demonstration) of how matter and energy are directly connected. reference
Michael Faraday
Antoine-Laurent Lavoisier
James Clerk Maxwell
Emilie du Châtelet
Albert Einstein
Lise Meitner and Otto Robert Frisch

Is this the same one that they had aired on... i think the discovery channel? It has the same name and I think the one on discovery was 2 hours long too.

I don't know if it was the same, but you can compare.. Here is the pbs website that lists what their NOVA program included. I looked at the Discovery channel website and it seems they took down their information about the Einstein programs they aired.

By the way I noticed I forgot to include Otto Hahn who was Lise Meitner's partner in discovering the nature of splitting an atom. Otto Frisch was her nephew. Frisch was helping Lise when the realization came to her that her experiments with Hahn resulted in splitting an atom (of Uranium) .

1. What is "Einstein's Big Idea" about?

"Einstein's Big Idea" is a PBS program that explores the life and work of Albert Einstein, particularly his groundbreaking theory of relativity and the impact it had on modern physics.

2. When will "Einstein's Big Idea" air on PBS?

"Einstein's Big Idea" will air on PBS on October 11th.

3. Who is the target audience for "Einstein's Big Idea"?

The target audience for "Einstein's Big Idea" is anyone interested in learning more about Albert Einstein and his contributions to science, as well as those interested in physics and the history of scientific breakthroughs.

4. Will "Einstein's Big Idea" only focus on Einstein's theory of relativity?

No, "Einstein's Big Idea" will also explore other aspects of Einstein's life and work, such as his early years, his struggles with anti-Semitism, and his impact on modern technology.

5. Is "Einstein's Big Idea" a documentary or a fictionalized account?

"Einstein's Big Idea" is a documentary, featuring interviews with experts and historians, as well as dramatizations of key moments in Einstein's life and scientific discoveries.