History of English Language - VT ebbS

In summary, there is a recommended site for the history of English, with numerous links provided. The conversation shows excitement and appreciation for the site's quality.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Try this site for the history of English, there are to many links to list

http://ebbs.english.vt.edu/hel/hel.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Holy cow wolram, you hit the motherlode!

I'm putting this up in language references. It's more than just language, I was doing a bit of browsing and this is awesome. :approve:

Evo said:
Holy cow wolram, you hit the motherlode!

I'm putting this up in language references. It's more than just language, I was doing a bit of browsing and this is awesome. :approve:

Cool site is it not, nice to know i have some little use. :smile:

Last edited:

1. What is the history of the English language?

The English language has a long and complex history, with its roots tracing back to the 5th century when Germanic tribes invaded Britain. Over time, the language evolved through various influences, including the Vikings, the Normans, and the Renaissance. Today, it is one of the most widely spoken and influential languages in the world.

2. What is the significance of the VT ebbS in the history of English?

The VT ebbS (Vowel Shift) is a significant event in the history of English as it marked a major change in the pronunciation of vowels. It occurred between the 14th and 18th centuries and resulted in the Great Vowel Shift, which changed the pronunciation of many words in English.

3. How did the English language spread across the world?

The spread of the English language can be attributed to the British Empire, which at its height, covered a quarter of the world's landmass. British colonization and trade routes led to the widespread use of English in many countries, and it eventually became a global language due to its use in technology, business, and media.

4. What are some major influences on the development of the English language?

The English language has been influenced by various languages throughout its history. Some of the major influences include Latin, French, and Scandinavian languages. These influences can be seen in the vocabulary, grammar, and pronunciation of modern English.

5. How has the English language changed over time?

The English language has undergone many changes over time, both in its vocabulary and its grammar. Old English, spoken from the 5th to the 12th century, was heavily influenced by Germanic languages and had a complex inflectional system. Middle English, from the 12th to the 15th century, saw the introduction of French words and a simplification of grammar. Modern English, from the 15th century to the present, has continued to evolve and absorb words from other languages.