Question about coefficient of kinetic friction

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the coefficient of kinetic friction between ice and a puck that is initially hit with a speed of 5.0 m/s and slows down uniformly before coming to rest in a distance of 20 m. They mention using the equation for kinetic friction and equating it to Newton's Third Law to solve for the acceleration and ultimately find the coefficient. The questioner also reflects on their initial difficulty in solving the problem.
catapultum_habeo
A hockey player hits a puck with her stick, giving the puck an initial speed of 5.0 m/s. If the puck slows uniformly and comes to rest in a distance of 20 m, what is the coefficient of kinetic friction between the ice and the puck?

I know that this question must be rather easy, and that my mind has missed some logical leap in order to complete it.

Given the equation for kinetic friction (I can't format, so I'm not sure how to write this...)

f(sub k)=(mu)(normal force)

How can I solve for the coefficient (f sub k) without the mass? It seems that without the mass I am stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have a force (friction) you need to find the acceleration. What happens when you equate your friction force to Newton's Third, F=ma?

Wonderful things happen.

I wonder why I didn't think of that. -blush-

Thank you!

What is coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a measurement of the amount of friction between two surfaces in contact when one of the surfaces is in motion. It is denoted by the symbol "μ", and its value depends on the nature of the surfaces in contact.

How is coefficient of kinetic friction different from coefficient of static friction?

Coefficient of kinetic friction is the measurement of friction between two surfaces when one of them is in motion, while coefficient of static friction is the measurement of friction between two surfaces when they are at rest. The value of coefficient of static friction is usually higher than that of coefficient of kinetic friction.

What factors affect the value of coefficient of kinetic friction?

The main factors that affect the value of coefficient of kinetic friction are the nature of the two surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the presence of any lubricants or other substances between them.

How can the coefficient of kinetic friction be measured?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be measured by conducting an experiment in which one of the surfaces is in motion and the other is kept stationary. By measuring the force required to keep the object in motion at a constant speed, the coefficient of kinetic friction can be calculated using the formula μ = F/mg, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

Why is coefficient of kinetic friction important?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is an important concept in understanding the behavior of objects in motion. It helps determine the amount of force needed to keep an object in motion, and plays a crucial role in various real-life applications such as transportation, sports, and engineering.