Utter Confusion on Projectile Motion

In summary, The conversation is about a physics problem involving a Russian MiG-29 launching a missile to disable an American spy satellite. The problem asks for the maximum altitude reached by the missile, the total time of flight, and the downrange distance. The conversation also discusses using kinematic equations to solve the problem and finding the vertical and horizontal components of the missile's speed.
marshmallowchicken
I'd just like to say hello to everyone as I'm new here but will be here frequently because Physics is like a foreign language to me.

Alright, I have a physics problem that is never going to be solved by my own brain, at least not until I see it solved. I would prefer that you just don't give me the answer, but explain how to do it. If you could include any diagrams, that would be very helpful due to my apparent preference on visual-spacial learning. So now, here's the problem:

A Russian-built MiG-29 was flying upward at an angle of 35 degrees with the vertical at 650 mph at an altitude of 82,000 feet when it launched a missile in a futile attempt to disable an American spy satellite. The missile accelerated along this line of travel at a rate of 40 feet per second, per second for 85 seconds before it ran out of fuel. The missile missed the satellit, did not explode, and eventually fell to earth. Ignoring air resistance, the curvature of the Earth, and fluctuations in the gravitational acceleration, Find:

a) The maximum altitude reached by the missile,

b) The total time of the missile's flight, and

c) The downrange distance from the launch point to the point of impact on the ground.

*Use 32 feet per second, per second, as the gravitational acceleration.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered.

Regards,
marshmallowchicken

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you solving these problems using calculus or using some known formulas?

?

Well, I'm in basic Physics which isn't supposed to apply any calculus functions.

I belive, though I don't see how, that he would like use to use the kinematic equations which are:

^2 = Squared
>0 = Initial or Subscript 0

V = V>0 + at
X = X>0 + V>0t + ½at^2
X = X>0 + vt – ½at^2
V^2 = V>0^2 + 2a(X-X>0)
X = X>0 + ½(V>0 + V)t

Regards,
marshmallowchicken

Do you know how to find the vertical and horizontal components of the speed?

Maybe this will help you for problem one. At the apex of the missle the Y component of velocity is 0.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air that is affected by gravity. It is characterized by a curved path known as a parabola.

2. What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and the force of gravity.

3. How do you calculate the trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile can be calculated using the equations of motion, which take into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and acceleration due to gravity.

4. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can slow down the motion of a projectile and cause it to deviate from its expected trajectory. This is because air resistance creates an opposing force that acts against the motion of the projectile.

5. Can projectile motion be applied in real-life situations?

Yes, projectile motion can be applied in various real-life situations such as sports, ballistics, and even in space travel. Understanding the principles of projectile motion can help predict the motion of objects and improve their performance.