Designing a Winning Egg Drop Project: Tips and Tricks for Success

In summary, a student is seeking suggestions for an egg drop project for their cousin. The project involves dropping an egg from a certain height and building a device to prevent it from breaking. The device must not use parachutes, cannot exceed 35 inches in any direction, and cannot primarily consist of commercial packing or duct tape. The egg must also be able to be inserted and removed without dismantling the device. Suggestions from others include using a pillow, creating a chute with elastic materials, and placing the egg inside two stacked bagels with exposed areas possibly covered with duct tape. Another successful design involved using foam and fishing line, while another student utilized a cup and straws with a deflated balloon as an airbag.
youphfan
I have a younger cousin who needs suggestions for an egg drop project. He will be dropping an egg from a certain distance (not sure how high, but not too high), and he has to build a device that will prevent it from breaking.

The requirements are that there are no parachutes, it cannot be more than 35 inches in any direction, it cannot consist primarily of commercial packing, duct tape etc. (although those materials may be used, just only as a small part of the design), and he has to be able to insert/remove the egg without dissasembling the entire device.

Can anyone help me (him) out? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
how about a pillow?

In junior high my school did the egg drop. our teachers got to drop eggs out of a helecopter. If i remember correctly, I did the following:

I made a cube out of popsickle sticks. I suspended the egg, wraped in those plastic bubbles, in the middle of the cube with rubber bands going to the 4 corners.

The egg survived.

Pan

I'd make some kind of "chute" for it, maybe out of some coat hanger and panty hose, or something else elastic. You could have it with a wide mouth at the top and then it slowly tapers down as it slows the egg. The bottom you could cushion with something soft like cotton or a sock at the bottom of the chute. Just an idea :smile:

I knew someone that put an egg inside the hole made by 2 bagels stacked on top of each other. Thier egg survived. You may want to do something about the exposed parts of the egg, but this person didn't, and it was okay.

Originally posted by photon
I knew someone that put an egg inside the hole made by 2 bagels stacked on top of each other. Thier egg survived. You may want to do something about the exposed parts of the egg, but this person didn't, and it was okay.
Haha, that might just work! Any suggestions as to what I can do about the exposed areas?

h

You could use three bagels to cover the entire egg, then use duct tape to hold them all together. But there has got to be some reason why the guy was confident with only 2.

*shrug* I can try both ways then - quite a uniquely simple idea, I'll see if it works. :smile:

h

We just did a test for our projects in my physics class.
The most successful design was to pieces of light foam about 4 inches thick held together by duct tape and fishing line. A small area had been cut out in the middle for the egg to rest in.
My class was also required to have one hatch that would be opened to retrieve the egg, this person made the foam hinge with the tape and latch with the fishing line.

I placed the egg in a cup suspended by a group of straws so that it couldn't move. Then, I taped a partially deflated balloon to the bottom of the cup so that it would act as an airbag and absorb all of the impact. Worked perfectly from a height of 30 feet. It was the same concept that the Mars landing rovers used.

edit- wow just realized this was a really old post. Oh well.

Tips to Win the Egg Drop Project

The Egg Drop Project is a classic science experiment where students are tasked with designing a contraption to protect an egg from breaking when dropped from a height. Winning the project requires creativity, knowledge of physics, and careful planning. Here are some common questions regarding tips to succeed in the Egg Drop Project:

Q1: What Is the Egg Drop Project?

The Egg Drop Project is a science experiment where participants design and build a contraption (often using materials like straws, tape, and cotton) to protect a raw egg from breaking when dropped from a certain height. The goal is to create a structure that absorbs the impact and keeps the egg intact upon landing.

Q2: What Are Some Tips for Winning the Egg Drop Project?

Winning the Egg Drop Project requires a combination of creativity and understanding of physics. Here are some tips to increase your chances of success:

• **Understand Physics:** Familiarize yourself with the principles of physics, especially those related to forces, acceleration, and energy. This knowledge will help you design a more effective contraption.
  • **Research Materials:** Experiment with different materials that can absorb shock and distribute forces, such as foam, bubble wrap, or rubber bands. Test their properties and suitability for your design.
  • **Consider Design Factors:** Think about the design factors that can affect the project's success, including the shape, weight, and stability of your contraption.
  • **Prototype and Test:** Build prototypes of your contraption and conduct test drops from various heights to identify weaknesses and make improvements.
  • **Use Reinforcements:** Reinforce critical areas of your contraption, such as the egg compartment, with additional padding or shock-absorbing materials.
  • **Balance Weight:** Ensure that your contraption is well-balanced and that the weight is distributed evenly to prevent uneven impacts.
  • **Think Creatively:** Don't be afraid to think outside the box and come up with innovative solutions. Sometimes unconventional designs can be surprisingly effective.
  • **Plan Your Drop:** Consider the height from which the egg will be dropped and how it will land. Plan accordingly to optimize your contraption's performance.
  • **Practice Landing Techniques:** Learn about techniques like parachute deployment or controlled descent to slow down the egg's fall and minimize impact.
  • **Document Your Process:** Keep a detailed record of your design process, including sketches, materials used, and test results. This documentation can be valuable for presentations.
Remember that the key to success in the Egg Drop Project is experimentation and iteration. Don't be discouraged by initial failures; use them as opportunities to learn and improve your design.

Q3: How Is the Egg Drop Project Evaluated?

The Egg Drop Project is typically evaluated based on whether the egg remains intact after being dropped from a specified height. Judges may consider factors such as creativity, design, and the effectiveness of the contraption in protecting the egg. Presentation and documentation of the design process may also be part of the evaluation.

Q4: What Is the Importance of the Egg Drop Project?

The Egg Drop Project is not only a fun and engaging science experiment but also a valuable learning experience. It allows students to apply principles of physics and engineering in a hands-on way. It promotes critical thinking, problem-solving, and creativity, which are essential skills in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) fields.

In conclusion, winning the Egg Drop Project involves a combination of understanding physics principles, creative design, thorough testing, and careful documentation. By following these tips and embracing experimentation, you can increase your chances of success in this exciting science experiment.