Logging Out & Timing Out Issues on PF

• Thread starter AKG
  • Start date
In summary, the person experiences difficulties with logging out of the website, as they are still shown as logged in even after clicking on the "Log Out" button. This issue can be resolved by logging out a second time. However, if they do not log out again, the website does not register their logout and they do not see all the new posts when they click on "New Posts" next time. They also face a timeout issue when writing a post, which causes them to be prompted to sign in again and risk losing their post if they do not copy it beforehand. These problems started after the website upgrades were made a couple of weeks ago. The person asks if checking the "remember me" box would prevent the timeout issue, but
AKG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Whenever I go to logout, it takes me to the screen which says "thanks for logging out" but I'm still logged in (it still says "Welcome, AKG" at the top, and the "Log Out" link is still there, etc.). I then logout a second time and everything is fine. If I don't log out this second time, however, then the next time I come to PF and click on New Posts, then it doesn't show me all new posts from the last time I logged out, since it's not registering that logout. Also, I seem to time out when I start writing a post but take a long time to finish. So when I finally go to submit my post, it tells me that I'm not signed in and asks me to sign in. If I don't Select All then Copy my post before I submit, then I lose whatever I wrote as a result of this. These problems started happening as soon as the upgrades were made (a couple of weeks ago, or whenever that was) and never happened before.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you check the "remember me" box during your session? That should keep you from timing out (and it won't stop you from logging out completely if you're on a shared computer). I don't have any explanation for the logging out thing. The mentors have been noticing some odd behavior of PF recently, and we've all told Greg about it, so he knows to look into things (I think Zz put it best...PF is Haunted...apparently just in time for Halloween). I don't know if your problem is related to these other issues as well.

Thanks for letting us know.

What are the common causes of logging out and timing out issues on PF?

There are several possible causes for logging out and timing out issues on PF, including poor internet connection, server issues, browser compatibility issues, and incorrect login credentials.

How can I prevent logging out and timing out issues on PF?

To prevent these issues, make sure you have a stable internet connection and use a supported browser. It is also important to keep your login credentials secure and up-to-date.

What should I do if I am constantly getting logged out or timed out on PF?

If you are experiencing frequent logging out or timing out issues, try clearing your browser's cache and cookies, or using a different browser. You can also reach out to PF's technical support for further assistance.

Can I extend the timeout period on PF?

In most cases, the timeout period on PF is set by the platform and cannot be extended. However, you can try logging out and logging back in to refresh the session.

Why am I getting automatically logged out of PF?

Automatic logouts can occur for security reasons, such as inactivity for a certain period of time or too many failed login attempts. It can also happen if you are using a public or shared computer.