What is the Terminal Voltage of a Battery?

In summary, the problem is that the textbook is asking for the terminal voltage of a battery, when in reality it's just a problem set and doesn't teach from previous examples. This has caused Warren to be lost and confused. He needs to find the current through the total circuit, which is composed of both the external and internal resistances. Next, he needs to find the voltage drop across the internal resistance. Finally, he can use Ohm's law to find the terminal voltage.
LHC
There's a problem in my textbook where it gives the emf of a battery, its internal resistance, and the net resistance of the circuit that it is connected to. Then it asks for the terminal voltage.

Actually, this is just a problem set (not exactly a textbook), so it doesn't teach me from previous examples. I'm still fumbling my way around these problems... Could someone please give me a hint on what to do?

So far, from what I've read on the internet, you can calculate the terminal voltage as: V = emf - ir

I have the emf, and the internal resistance...but no current is given. Haha, I'm so confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to find the current through the total circuit, which is composed of both the external and internal resistances.

Next, you need to find the voltage drop across the internal resistance. You can use Ohm's law.

Finally, you know how much voltage is being "lost" on the internal resistance, so you know what voltage will appear on the battery's terminals.

- Warren

chroot said:
You need to find the current through the total circuit, which is composed of both the external and internal resistances.

Next, you need to find the voltage drop across the internal resistance. You can use Ohm's law.

Finally, you know how much voltage is being "lost" on the internal resistance, so you know what voltage will appear on the battery's terminals.

- Warren

First of all, I'd like to thank you for your quick reply. However, I'm not quite sure if I understand you correctly.

Ok, so the battery's emf is 6V, internal resistance is 0.6 Ohms, and the circuit's net resistance is 7.20 Ohms.

When you said:

chroot said:

I took that as...the total circuit has a resistance of 7.8 Ohms.
So, I have a current of 6.0/7.8 = 0.769 Amps ??

chroot said:
you need to find the voltage drop across the internal resistance. You can use Ohm's law.

So...I found that as Current X Internal Resistance = 0.462 V

6.0 V - 0.462 V = 5.54 V, which is the answer.

So...I don't need to worry about the resistance through the circuit?

Not when you are only concerned about the voltage across the battery terminals, then the rest of the circuit is irrelevant. Remember voltage is the potential between two points, where current is a conserved flow.

LHC said:
which is the answer.

Good work!

So...I don't need to worry about the resistance through the circuit?

You DID worry about it -- you included it in the total resistance, so you could find the current.

- Warren

1. What is the terminal voltage of a battery?

The terminal voltage of a battery is the potential difference between the positive and negative terminals of the battery. It is the voltage that is available to power external circuits.

2. How is the terminal voltage of a battery measured?

The terminal voltage of a battery is typically measured using a voltmeter. The voltmeter is connected to the positive and negative terminals of the battery, and it displays the voltage in units of volts (V).

3. What factors affect the terminal voltage of a battery?

The terminal voltage of a battery can be affected by several factors, including the type of battery, its state of charge, and its internal resistance. Temperature can also have an impact on the terminal voltage of some batteries.

4. Why does the terminal voltage of a battery decrease over time?

The terminal voltage of a battery decreases over time because of the chemical reactions that occur within the battery. As the battery discharges, the reactants are consumed, and the voltage decreases. This is known as the battery's discharge curve.

5. How does the terminal voltage of a battery impact its performance?

The terminal voltage of a battery is an important factor in determining its performance. A higher terminal voltage means that the battery can provide more power to external circuits, while a lower terminal voltage can result in decreased performance and potential issues with powering devices.