Understanding centripetal force and free body diagram

In summary, a person standing stationary on a rotating Earth experiences a net force towards the center of the Earth. The free body diagram would show a reaction force, mg, and a centripetal force, mv^2/r, with a net force of mg - R. The Newton's 3rd law pairs for these forces are mg and R. As the Earth's rotational speed increases, a person's apparent weight would decrease, while the rotational speed of a space habitat would cause an increase in apparent weight. However, in the case of a rotating satellite, the increase in rotation speed would not affect the weight, as it is not affected by real gravity.
jsmith613

Homework Statement

a person is standing stationairy on Earth (whilst it is rotating) there is a net force towards the centre of the earth.

What would the free body diagram look like.

Please could someone explain why

thanks

Homework Equations

I know the formula for acceleration (v^2/r) and Force = m(v^2/r).

The Attempt at a Solution

I would suggest that the free body digram shows:
R + mv^2/r = mg
so mv^2/r = mg-R
But I get really confused by R and mg as they should cancel out.

Please could someone explain it

Physics news on Phys.org
jsmith613 said:

Homework Statement

a person is standing stationairy on Earth (whilst it is rotating) there is a net force towards the centre of the earth.

What would the free body diagram look like.

Please could someone explain why

thanks

Homework Equations

I know the formula for acceleration (v^2/r) and Force = m(v^2/r).

The Attempt at a Solution

I would suggest that the free body digram shows:
R + mv^2/r = mg
so mv^2/r = mg-R
But I get really confused by R and mg as they should cancel out.

Please could someone explain it

First let's ignore the centripetal force.

If you stand in a stationary lift, the reaction force from the floor will be equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to mg.
If the lift was accelerating up, the Reaction force from the floor will be greater than mg [you feel heavier when the lift starts going up], Net force is up - you accelerate up.
If the lift was accelerating down, the Reaction force from the floor will be less than mg [you feel lighter when the lift starts going down] Net force is down - you accelerate down.

Now let's get centripetal Force involved.
When you are on the spinning Earth you have a centripetal acceleration down [like in the lift accelerating down] but the size of the acceleration will be MUCH smaller than what you achieve in the average lift.
As such the reaction force will be slightly smaller than mg. The difference possibly only shows up in the decimal places of the Force magnitude.

So R and mg only cancel out if the acceleration is zero.
In a lift, the acceleration can be significant. The centripetal acceleration is very small.

so we have a free body diagram looking like:

Up: reaction force
down: mg, mv^2/r

so there is no reaction force to mv^2/r?

therefore
mv^2/r = mg - R

what confuses now is what is the Newton pair of the centripetal force?

also, if we have a body orbiting a planet what is the reaction force? or does it not exist?

Finally,
Q:If the Earth rotated faster on its axis would would happen to your weight (as measured by a scale)
A: decrease

Q:As the rotational speed of a space habitat increases what happens to the apparent weight of the people inside
A: increases

could someone please explain the answers (i have tried 2 as below but can't do 1)

Example: Q2:

The force, mg, of the space station acts towards the earth

F = ma
F = mv2/r
BUT v = omega (w) * r
SO

F = m*w2*r

F = (GMm)/r2

(GMm)/r2 = m*w2*r

If w (omega) increases then Force increases
this seems wrong because GMm/r2 should always be constant and therefore not affected by speed :S

jsmith613 said:
so we have a free body diagram looking like:

Up: reaction force
down: mg, mv^2/r
Never put 'centripetal force' on a free body diagram. There are only 2 forces acting on the body: The weight, mg, and the force of the Earth pushing up, the 'reaction force'.

so there is no reaction force to mv^2/r?
Don't think of mv^2/r as a separate force; think of it as applying Newton's 2nd law in the case of centripetal acceleration.

What we call 'centripetal force' is just the net force that produces the centripetal acceleration.

therefore
mv^2/r = mg - R
OK. (For the simple case where the mass is on the equator.) But think of it as:
ΣF = ma
mg - R = m(v^2/r)

what confuses now is what is the Newton pair of the centripetal force?
Again, the term 'centripetal force' is just another name for the net force. The only forces involved in this are mg and R, and they both have Newton's 3rd law pairs. (What are they?)

I would presume there has to be something wrong with my working because it is not possible for it to be correct but it follows the advice I've be given :S

jsmith613 said:
I would presume there has to be something wrong with my working because it is not possible for it to be correct but it follows the advice I've be given :S
What working are you referring to? Which post?

post 6

jsmith613 said:
Finally,
Q:If the Earth rotated faster on its axis would would happen to your weight (as measured by a scale)
A: decrease
A scale measures 'apparent weight', which is what you called R (the 'reaction' force) above.

Q:As the rotational speed of a space habitat increases what happens to the apparent weight of the people inside
A: increases

could someone please explain the answers (i have tried 2 as below but can't do 1) Example: Q2:

F = ma
F = mv2/r
BUT v = omega (w) * r
SO

F = m*w2*r

F = (GMm)/r2

(GMm)/r2 = m*w2*r

this seems wrong because GMm/r2 should always be constant and therefore not affected by speed :S
You'll have to redo this one. They are talking about a space station 'habitat' that creates its own artificial 'gravity' by rotation. No real gravity involved. (Hopefully they have some sort of diagram of this thing in action.)

Answer
Here, the centripetal force increases due to an increase in speed.
As we said before, mv2/r = mg - R

Is this correct

For the next question I will break it into two questions

Q1:As the rotational speed of a space habitat increases what happens to the apparent weight of the people inside

I don't understant how this would be done as I have never come across the idea of simulated gravity

Q2:As the rotational speed of a satellite increases what happens to the apparent weight of the people inside
for this question, which is what the working was meant to be for (post 6), I presume the above working is still flawed

post #12

I just to check also, is your weight given by the reaction force or mg?

jsmith613 said:

Answer

Is this correct
But what about your 'weight'?

jsmith613 said:
post #12

I just to check also, is your weight given by the reaction force or mg?
The scale measures the force pressing on it, which is the reaction force.

Answer

My weight = the reaction force so R = mv^2/r + mg therefore weight increases
I have said weight = reaction force as you said this in the last post

jsmith613 said:

Answer
This is correct.

My weight = the reaction force so R = mv^2/r + mg therefore weight increases
This is not correct.

Take the correct equation and solve for R.

Doc Al said:
This is correct.

This is not correct.

Take the correct equation and solve for R.

sorry
R = mg - mv^2/r

jsmith613 said:
sorry
R = mg - mv^2/r
Good. Now how would you answer the question?

as speed increases, Reaction force decreases so apparent weight decreases

This matches the answer
could we now go through Q2 (with the change of "space habitat" to "satellite")

jsmith613 said:
as speed increases, Reaction force decreases so apparent weight decreases
Good.
jsmith613 said:
could we now go through Q2 (with the change of "space habitat" to "satellite")
Please state the problem you are asked to solve.

Q:As the rotational speed of a satellite increases what happens to the apparent weight of the people inside

F = ma
F = mv2/r
BUT v = omega (w) * r
SO

F = m*w2*r

F = (GMm)/r2

(GMm)/r2 = m*w2*r

this is where i get stuck

jsmith613 said:
Q:As the rotational speed of a satellite increases what happens to the apparent weight of the people inside
I assume they mean orbital speed, not that the satellite is rotating about it's center of mass.

Note that the satellite is in free fall as it orbits. So what's the apparent weight of the people inside? No calculation needed.

jsmith613 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CD8Q1WGiVA&feature=related

could someone please explain what is the forces are here (especially Fn)

I don't like the presenters explanation very much. I look at the problem this way:

When the bucket is overhead, the water will tend to accelerate down with acceleration g, just as it would if there was no bucket there at all.

In order to not have the water coming out of the bucket, you must accelerate the bucket down at g or higher.

You could pull the bucket down with great acceleration, but it will soon hit the ground.

If you rotate the bucket fast enough, the bucket will have acceleration [centripetal acceleration towards the centre] given by V2 / R. Provided that is at least equal to g, we have the bucket accelerating down with a sufficiently large acceleration for the water not to fall out of the bucket.

Doc Al said:
I assume they mean orbital speed, not that the satellite is rotating about it's center of mass.

Note that the satellite is in free fall as it orbits. So what's the apparent weight of the people inside? No calculation needed.

I copied the question exactly from a website. The website has the answer as an increase.
The only force acting on the satellite is mg (towards the earth) and we would use the F = GmM/r^2 to find this force (I presume)

I don't see why no calculation is needed for your interpretation of the Q

PeterO said:
I don't like the presenters explanation very much. I look at the problem this way:

When the bucket is overhead, the water will tend to accelerate down with acceleration g, just as it would if there was no bucket there at all.

In order to not have the water coming out of the bucket, you must accelerate the bucket down at g or higher.

You could pull the bucket down with great acceleration, but it will soon hit the ground.

If you rotate the bucket fast enough, the bucket will have acceleration [centripetal acceleration towards the centre] given by V2 / R. Provided that is at least equal to g, we have the bucket accelerating down with a sufficiently large acceleration for the water not to fall out of the bucket.

i would presume the logic is
if the bucket accelerates fast than the water downwards then the bucket will move before the water has a chance to get out.
My next question is why won't the bucket and the water accelerate at the same speed downward as they are effectively one object

jsmith613 said:
I copied the question exactly from a website. The website has the answer as an increase.
So they are talking about the rotation of the satellite about its center of mass, not its orbiting around the earth.
The only force acting on the satellite is mg (towards the earth) and we would use the F = GmM/r^2 to find this force (I presume)
What you need to consider is the force exerted by the rotating satellite (a space 'habitat') on the passenger. That's his apparent weight. The force of the Earth on the satellite is not relevant to this question.

Imagine the 'satellite' as a rotating cylinder and a person is standing on the inner surface of that cylinder. As the rotational speed increases, what happens to the force with which he is pressed against the 'floor'?

FYI: 'mg' is only valid near the Earth's surface.

I don't see why no calculation is needed for your interpretation of the Q
Think of astronauts in the space shuttle once they are in orbit. What's their apparent weight?

Doc Al said:
What you need to consider is the force exerted by the rotating satellite (a space 'habitat') on the passenger. That's his apparent weight. The force of the Earth on the satellite is not relevant to this question.

Imagine the 'satellite' as a rotating cylinder and a person is standing on the inner surface of that cylinder. As the rotational speed increases, what happens to the force with which he is pressed against the 'floor'?

FYI: 'mg' is only valid near the Earth's surface.

ok so with a free body diagram,
mg = down
Reaction force = towards centre
he is accelerating towards the centre of the satellite (i presume this is up)
F = ma
ma = R - mg
mv^2/r = R - mg
mg = R + mv^2/r

so as the satellite rotates faster, his weight increases :)

I am confused though as to why on Earth the effect of a faster rotation is completley different than on a satellite

Doc Al said:
Think of astronauts in the space shuttle once they are in orbit. What's their apparent weight?
well weight = mass * acceleration
I would presume their weight is dependant on how fast the rocket is accelerating
Once in orbit, they must have a net acceleration towards the Earth (v^2/r) so the guys weight = mass * (v^2/r)

jsmith613 said:
ok so with a free body diagram,
mg = down
Reaction force = towards centre
he is accelerating towards the centre of the satellite (i presume this is up)
F = ma
ma = R - mg
mv^2/r = R - mg
mg = R + mv^2/r

so as the satellite rotates faster, his weight increases :)
The only force on the person that you need to consider is the 'reaction force' from the 'floor' of the satellite.

I am confused though as to why on Earth the effect of a faster rotation is completley different than on a satellite
On the Earth you are standing on the outside of the rotating body; in the satellite, you're standing on the inside. (Look up 'artificial gravity'.)

well weight = mass * acceleration
I would presume their weight is dependant on how fast the rocket is accelerating
Once in orbit, they must have a net acceleration towards the Earth (v^2/r) so the guys weight = mass * (v^2/r)
So I guess you've never see pictures of the astronauts in orbit floating around in their ship?

of course, but they must weight something
Although, if your weight is given by the reaction force then floating astronouts have no weight

Doc Al said:
The only force on the person that you need to consider is the 'reaction force' from the 'floor' of the satellite.
so was my answer wrong?

(please also see last post for the previous question)

jsmith613 said:
My next question is why won't the bucket and the water accelerate at the same speed downward as they are effectively one object

I don't like the way you used speed [I underlined it]!
They do accelerate at the same rate [speed is not a term that relates well to acceleration]. The fact is that acceleration is greater than g, so the only way the water can accelerate at a rate greater than g, is if something applies an extra force to it [gravity is not enough] The thing that applies the extra force is the bucket - but that can only happen if the water remains in contact with the bucket - it doesn't come out.

jsmith613 said:
of course, but they must weight something
Although, if your weight is given by the reaction force then floating astronouts have no weight

Common usage refers to people's weight, and their apparent weight.

Weight is mg - and for an orbiting satellite g might be only 8.7 if the satellite is high enough.

Apparent weight refers to how heavy you feel.

If you ride a roller coaster, you feel light as you go over the top of a hump, you feel heavy as you go through a dip, and who knows how you feel as you go through the inside of an inverted loop, or a spiral.

At all times you mass is the same, and g is 9.8, so your weight is constant, but your apparent weight varies wildly.

When people say an astronaut is weightless, they mean her apparent weight is zero.

<h2>1. What is centripetal force?</h2><p>Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It acts towards the center of the circle and is necessary for an object to maintain its circular motion.</p><h2>2. How is centripetal force related to free body diagrams?</h2><p>In a free body diagram, all the forces acting on an object are represented by arrows. Centripetal force is one of these forces and is shown as an arrow pointing towards the center of the circle. This helps us visualize and understand how centripetal force is responsible for keeping an object in circular motion.</p><h2>3. What factors affect the strength of centripetal force?</h2><p>The strength of centripetal force depends on the mass of the object, the speed of the object, and the radius of the circular path. A larger mass or higher speed will result in a stronger centripetal force, while a larger radius will result in a weaker centripetal force.</p><h2>4. How is centripetal force different from centrifugal force?</h2><p>Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, while centrifugal force is the apparent outward force that seems to pull an object away from the center of the circle. Centrifugal force is actually a result of the inertia of the object, and it is not a real force.</p><h2>5. Can centripetal force be negative?</h2><p>No, centripetal force cannot be negative. It always acts towards the center of the circle and is necessary for an object to maintain its circular motion. If there is a negative centripetal force, it means that there is another force acting in the opposite direction, causing the object to deviate from its circular path.</p>

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It acts towards the center of the circle and is necessary for an object to maintain its circular motion.

2. How is centripetal force related to free body diagrams?

In a free body diagram, all the forces acting on an object are represented by arrows. Centripetal force is one of these forces and is shown as an arrow pointing towards the center of the circle. This helps us visualize and understand how centripetal force is responsible for keeping an object in circular motion.

3. What factors affect the strength of centripetal force?

The strength of centripetal force depends on the mass of the object, the speed of the object, and the radius of the circular path. A larger mass or higher speed will result in a stronger centripetal force, while a larger radius will result in a weaker centripetal force.

4. How is centripetal force different from centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, while centrifugal force is the apparent outward force that seems to pull an object away from the center of the circle. Centrifugal force is actually a result of the inertia of the object, and it is not a real force.

5. Can centripetal force be negative?

No, centripetal force cannot be negative. It always acts towards the center of the circle and is necessary for an object to maintain its circular motion. If there is a negative centripetal force, it means that there is another force acting in the opposite direction, causing the object to deviate from its circular path.