How fast must a spaceship travel to reach Alpha Centauri in 10 years?

In summary, the distance to Alpha Centauri is 4,3 light years and the crew wants to get there in 10 years. Using the formula for velocity, v = d/tearth, the spaceship would have to travel at a speed of 0,41 times the speed of light. However, this calculation does not take into account time dilation and length contraction, which would affect the actual time experienced by the crew and observed by Earth. To accurately calculate the required velocity, the gamma factor of 1,048 must be used.
spXq
The distance to Alpha Centauri is 4,3 light years. How fast would a spaceship have to travel to get there in 10 years, according to the crew?

The answer *should* be 0,395c. So far I've gotten all sorts of answers but not much close, so I seem to be approaching the problem the wrong way.

Physics news on Phys.org
Show what you've done so far.

Hints: What's the basic idea of time dilation? What's the definition of velocity?

The first part of the assignment asks for the time required when traveling at 30% of light speed. Given a gamma factor of 1,048 I get ~13,7 years, which is correct (so the gamma factor must be correct as well).

velocity = distance / time

But...

for t = 10 and d = 4,3

v = 4,3 / 10
v = 0,43, which is wrong

taking length contraction into account gives

4,3/1,048 = 4,1

v = 4,1 / 10
v = 0,41, which is still wrong

spXq said:
Edit: velocity = distance / time
Good. Keep going.

From Earth's viewpoint, you have the distance. What's the time?

Doc Al said:
Good. Keep going.

From Earth's viewpoint, you have the distance. What's the time?

Hmm... i don't know. :/

The distance is 4,3 ly but I don't know the speed, so how do I find the time?

Hang on... the time for the crew is 10 years so the time for the observer is t/gamma

10/1,048 = 9,54 years

Edit: no that's not right... I have no idea what I'm doing

Edit2: the time from Earth's viewpoint is d * gamma = 4,3 * 1,048 = 10,48 years, while the time is 10 years for the crew

spXq said:
Hang on... the time for the crew is 10 years so the time for the observer is t/gamma
You have that reversed. If the ship time is 10 years, then to Earth observers it will be longer: t*gamma, not t/gamma.

10/1,048 = 9,54 years
In addition to what I already pointed out, do not use the gamma from the previous part of the question.

So continue with that velocity equation, v = d/tearth.

1. What is the concept of time dilation in physics?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass at different rates for objects that are moving at different speeds relative to each other. It is a fundamental concept in the theory of relativity and is based on the idea that time is not absolute, but rather depends on the observer's frame of reference.

2. How does time dilation affect the aging process?

According to the theory of relativity, time dilation causes time to pass more slowly for objects that are moving at high speeds. This means that, for example, a person traveling in a spaceship near the speed of light would experience time passing more slowly compared to someone on Earth. As a result, the person in the spaceship would age slower than the person on Earth.

3. Is time dilation a real phenomenon or just a theoretical concept?

Time dilation has been proven to be a real phenomenon through various experiments and observations. For example, the famous Hafele-Keating experiment in 1971 showed that atomic clocks on airplanes traveling at high speeds experienced a slower passage of time compared to synchronized clocks on the ground.

4. Can time dilation occur in everyday life?

Yes, time dilation occurs in everyday life, but the effects are so small that they are not noticeable. For example, GPS satellites in orbit around the Earth experience time dilation due to their high speeds, and this must be taken into account for an accurate GPS system.

5. What are some practical applications of time dilation?

One practical application of time dilation is in satellite navigation systems, such as GPS, where precise timekeeping is essential for accurate positioning. Time dilation also plays a role in particle accelerators, where particles are accelerated to high speeds and their lifetimes are affected by time dilation. It also has implications for space travel and the study of the universe, as it allows us to better understand the effects of gravity and the nature of time.