Layden jar questions? And some static electricity questions.?

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a Leyden Jar and its potential dangers. The individual asks about the effect of certain details on the performance and potential lethality of the jar. They also inquire about charging the jar from a TV and ask for detailed instructions. There is also a discussion about rubbing insulators together to create a charge and the safety precautions that should be taken. The conversation ends with a reminder to be careful when dealing with high voltage sources.
grim3271
Layden jar questions? :) And some static electricity questions.??

Hello. I'm making a layden jar and i am kinda changing some details in it. and i want to ask if those will affect anything in the performance and if it's shocks can be lethal..
http://postimage.org/image/s9xqthylt/
http://postimage.org/image/z86gd6m41/
http://postimage.org/image/mi6tdu3jl/
http://postimage.org/image/egikvxks1/
http://postimage.org/image/8a7xxpc35/

The plastic the whole thing is made of is HDPE

The foil is like 6-5 layers.. the first two are wrinkle free and all have been glued togeather by a glue stick.

The water is full of salt and WAS hot

You can see too the upper part of the OLD bottle.

'd it be better like this. a half? or with the other half of the bottle? and if it is better with the other half?
how should i combine the two?
Just give me detailed instructions what should i do next..

Also
I heard a pvc pipe is great for static electricity. So i got a 60 cm one. 1.5 inches

I rub it with tissues.. or cotton. And it sometimes develops a large large large charge and sometimes not :( WHY?

Also i heard the i can charge a layden jar from a tv screen?
what tv type should it be?
i have all types

LED
LCD
Plasma
and the old large box tv.

And detailed instructions please how should i charge that?

Thanks. hope i did not annoy you.

EDIT: What is the length of the sparks i can make from a pvc pipe and from a tv screen?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org

A Leyden Jar is just a capacitor so its voltage depends on the voltage it is charged from.

Any voltage over 40 volts or so is potentially dangerous, so you need to be cautious about touching high voltage sources.

A Leyden jar is typically charged from a Wimshurst machine and it can develop a very healthy spark which certainly looks as if it could be lethal.

The picture tube in a "box" TV is supplied with about 30000 volts which is definitely lethal and you should not attempt to use this supply for anything.

An estimate of the voltage required to cause a spark is that it takes 30000 volts per centimeter to cause a spark in dry air. So, you can work out spark distances from that.

I have seen a Van der Graaf generator arcing to its base, which was a spark of about 45 centimeters. But I don't think your Leyden Jar will be able to do that.

Uh. okay. but how could i charge it from a tv?

And please answer the other questions :)

Your answer is really appreciated :D

You could look up "Tribo-electric series".

here:
http://www.extremeelectronics.co.uk/index.php?page=tribo

That site also has other sparky stuff.

When you rub two insulators together, if they are different, then the charge depends on where they are on the Triboelectic table.

Rubbing rabbit fur on ebonite is the classic school experiment. The rabbit's fur ends up positive and the ebonite ends up negative. This apparently works with cat's fur and the cat doesn't have to be dead.

Repeated rubbing is not necessary as the electrons that were removed from the fur will just be returned to it if you rub again.

The voltage in a TV set is probably lethal and I have an obligation to keep you safe, so if you don't know where to find this voltage, then you probably shouldn't be playing with it. Sorry about that. :)

grim3271 said:
Hello. I'm making a layden jar and i am kinda changing some details in it. and i want to ask if those will affect anything in the performance and if it's shocks can be lethal..
My understanding is that the traditional Leyden Jar did not contain water. The inside of the jar was lined with metal foil and a chain dropped down to contact the metal. But wikipedia relates how the very first efforts used a jar that did contain water. However, I suggest that you omit the water and keep the jar dry, because the presence of moisture is anathema to storage of static charge, and I'd say you need not waste time trying in vain to charge a jar that is wet, even if only on the inside.

Condensers holding a high voltage can be dangerous, but if you only charge it from rubbing a comb on the cat then you will be safe.

grim3271 said:
Uh. okay. but how could i charge it from a tv?

And please answer the other questions :)

Your answer is really appreciated :D

This is only an opinion - but please be careful.

NascentOxygen said:
My understanding is that the traditional Leyden Jar did not contain water. The inside of the jar was lined with metal foil and a chain dropped down to contact the metal. But wikipedia relates how the very first efforts used a jar that did contain water. However, I suggest that you omit the water and keep the jar dry, because the presence of moisture is anathema to storage of static charge, and I'd say you need not waste time trying in vain to charge a jar that is wet, even if only on the inside.

Condensers holding a high voltage can be dangerous, but if you only charge it from rubbing a comb on the cat then you will be safe.

The 'original' Leyden Jars definitely did contain water in them [but only in the bottom, btw] . That was before people understood how they actually worked.

1. What is a Layden jar?

A Layden jar is an early form of capacitor, used to store and release electrical energy. It consists of a glass jar or bottle with metal foil coatings on the inside and outside, separated by an insulating material such as wax or glass. It was invented in 1745 by Ewald Georg von Kleist and Pieter van Musschenbroek independently.

2. How does a Layden jar work?

The Layden jar works by storing electrical charge on the inner and outer metal foils. When a high voltage is applied to the outer foil, it creates an electric field that forces the charge to accumulate on the inner foil. This creates a potential difference between the two foils, which can then be discharged through an external circuit.

3. What is the purpose of a Layden jar?

The purpose of a Layden jar is to store and release electrical energy. It was originally used in early experiments with electricity, such as discharging through gases to create light or sparks. It is also used in modern applications such as in radio frequency circuits and in medical equipment.

4. How much energy can a Layden jar store?

The amount of energy a Layden jar can store depends on its size and construction. Generally, a larger jar with thicker foils can store more energy. Small Layden jars can store around 1-10 microfarads of capacitance and can hold a few hundred volts of charge, while larger ones can store up to several hundred microfarads and hold thousands of volts.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a Layden jar?

Yes, it is important to handle Layden jars with caution as they can store high amounts of charge and can deliver a potentially dangerous shock. It is important to discharge the jar before handling it, and to never touch the metal foils while the jar is charged. It is also recommended to use protective equipment such as gloves and safety glasses when working with Layden jars.

What is static electricity?

Static electricity is an imbalance of electric charges within or on the surface of a material. It occurs when there is a build-up of excess electrons on one object, creating a negative charge, while another object loses electrons and becomes positively charged. This imbalance can cause objects to attract or repel each other.

How is static electricity created?

Static electricity can be created by friction, when two objects rub against each other and electrons are transferred from one object to the other. It can also be created by separation, when two objects with different electric charges are pulled apart, causing the charges to separate and create a static charge.

What are some common examples of static electricity?

Some common examples of static electricity include rubbing a balloon against your hair and seeing it stick, getting a shock when touching a metal object after walking on carpet, and lightning in a thunderstorm. Static electricity can also cause clothes to stick together after coming out of the dryer, and can be used to make static cling stickers stick to surfaces.

How can static electricity be discharged?

Static electricity can be discharged by connecting the charged object to a conductor, such as a metal object or the ground. This allows the excess electrons to flow away and restore balance, reducing or eliminating the static charge. Other methods of discharge include using ionizing air guns or anti-static sprays to neutralize the charge.

Can static electricity be dangerous?

In most cases, static electricity is not dangerous to humans. However, it can cause a spark that can ignite flammable materials, and can also cause damage to sensitive electronic equipment. In certain situations, such as in industrial settings or during lightning storms, static electricity can pose a greater risk and proper precautions should be taken to prevent accidents.