Colour planes still existing after filtering

In summary, the conversation is discussing how blue and green color planes can still exist in a photo even when using a red bandpass filter while taking photos. It is explained that filters and color-sensitive detectors are not perfect, resulting in non-zero values for green and blue in digital images. The conversation also mentions that this is due to the broad spectral response of Beyer filters and asks for specifications on the red filter being used.
vipis
Hey. I am wondering how can blue and green colour planes exist in a photo, when I am using red bandpass filter while taking photos? Red bandpass filter let's only red light through. But when i analyze the photo, green and blue planes are still there. How can it be?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean with "still there"?
Filters and color-sensitive detectors are not perfect (and they would not work as intended if they would be perfect) - even with a filter, you'll get non-zero green and blue values in a digital image.

vipis said:
Hey. I am wondering how can blue and green colour planes exist in a photo, when I am using red bandpass filter while taking photos? Red bandpass filter let's only red light through. But when i analyze the photo, green and blue planes are still there. How can it be?

Thanks in advance

If I understand your question, its because the light passing through the filter can still be (barely) detected by the green and blue sensor pixels- the Beyer filters are fairly broad, do you have any specs on your red filter?

I agree with Andy - the blue and green sensors will still register a response when exposed to red light because the spectral response curve partially overlaps the red part of the visible spectrum.

Claude.

for your response.

Hi there,

Thank you for your question. The reason why blue and green color planes still exist in your photo even after using a red bandpass filter is due to the way colors are captured in photography.

When taking a photo, light is reflected off of the subject and enters the camera through the lens. The lens then focuses the light onto the camera's sensor, which is made up of millions of tiny pixels. Each pixel is sensitive to different wavelengths of light, and this is what enables the camera to capture different colors.

In the case of a red bandpass filter, only red light is allowed through and reaches the sensor. However, since the sensor is still sensitive to other colors, it can still capture and record the information for blue and green color planes.

Additionally, some cameras also have a built-in RGB filter, which helps to separate the different color planes and capture them separately. This is why even with a red bandpass filter, blue and green color planes can still exist in the photo.

I hope this helps to clarify any confusion. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,

1. What are colour planes?

Colour planes are the individual channels of color that make up an image. They represent the red, green, and blue components of an image, and are used to create the full range of colors we see on screens or in print.

2. How are colour planes filtered?

Colour planes can be filtered by using various techniques such as low-pass, high-pass, or band-pass filters to remove or enhance certain frequencies of colors. This helps to improve the overall quality and clarity of an image.

3. Why do colour planes still exist after filtering?

Colour planes still exist after filtering because they are essential components of an image and cannot be completely removed without altering the overall appearance. They may be reduced or modified, but they will still be present in some form.

4. How does filtering affect the colours in an image?

Filtering can affect the colors in an image by either enhancing or reducing certain frequencies of colors. This can result in a more vibrant or muted appearance, depending on the type of filter and its strength.

5. Can filtering completely remove all colours from an image?

No, filtering cannot completely remove all colors from an image as there will always be some residual color present in the form of the three color planes. However, the colors may appear significantly different or muted depending on the type and strength of the filter used.