Representations of periodic functions

In summary, there are three forms for representing periodic functions: by using sine/cosine, exponential functions, and absolute value/argument. These forms can be converted between each other using specific formulas. Additionally, there is a triangular relation between these forms, and their connections can be understood through a phasor diagram and the Euler relations.
Jhenrique
Correct me if I'm wrong, but exist 3 forms for represent periodic functions, by sin/cos, by exp and by abs/arg.

I know that given an expression like a cos(θ) + b sin(θ), I can to corvert it in A cos(θ - φ) or A sin(θ + ψ) through of the formulas:

A² = a² + b²

tan(φ) = b/a
sin(φ) = b/A
cos(φ) = a/A

tan(ψ) = a/b
sin(ψ) = a/A
cos(ψ) = b/A

The serie Fourier have other conversion, this time between exponential form and amplitude/phase
[tex]f(t)=\gamma_0+2\sum_{n=1}^{\infty } \gamma_n cos\left ( \frac{2 \pi n t}{T}+\varphi_n \right )[/tex]
##\gamma_0 = c_0##
##\gamma_n = abs(c_n)##
##\varphi_n = arg(c_n)##

I think that exist a triangular relation. Correct? If yes, could give me the general formulas for convert an form in other?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Jhenrique said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but exist 3 forms for represent periodic functions, by sin/cos, by exp and by abs/arg.

f(x) = 0 if x is rational, f(x) = 1 if x is irrational. This is a periodic function without a fundamental period.

g(x) = 2 if x is an integer, g(x) = 1 if x is non-integer rational, g(x) = 0 if x is irrational. This is a periodic function with fundamental period equal to 1.

I think that exist a triangular relation. Correct?
Don't know what that means.

If yes, could give me the general formulas for convert an form in other?
The three forms you talk about are related via a phasor diagram and the euler relations.

Also see:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=432185 #6.
... to understand how a function can be periodic with no fundamental period.

Simon Bridge said:
Don't know what that means.

See my book of math in annex... I have 3 distinct representations for Fourier series. But I think that my relations in my book aren't very well connected. For example: given a expression like a cos(θ) + b sin(θ) how convert it in expression like c exp(θ ± φ)?

Attachments

• dsa.jpg
    dsa.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 386
You can turn a trig expression to and from an exponential one using the Euler relations.
$$\exp i\theta = \cos\theta + i\sin\theta = x+iy$$

You can also get the relations between them by using one definition to expand the other one.

1. What is a periodic function?

A periodic function is a mathematical function that repeats its values at regular intervals. This means that the output of the function will repeat itself after a certain period of time or distance.

2. How are periodic functions represented?

Periodic functions can be represented using various mathematical methods, such as trigonometric functions (sine, cosine, tangent), Fourier series, or complex exponential functions. These representations allow for a more efficient and concise way of describing the repeating patterns of the function.

3. What is the period of a periodic function?

The period of a periodic function is the length of one full cycle of the function. It is the distance or time interval at which the function starts to repeat itself. It is typically denoted by the symbol "T".

4. Can a periodic function have multiple periods?

Yes, a periodic function can have multiple periods. This means that the function repeats itself at multiple intervals. However, there will always be a smallest period, known as the fundamental period, which is the smallest interval at which the function repeats itself.

5. How are representations of periodic functions used in real life?

Periodic functions and their representations are used in many real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, and finance. For example, the motion of a pendulum, the current in an AC circuit, and the fluctuations in stock prices can all be described using periodic functions and their representations.