Reflection, transparency and Absorption

In summary, the conversation is about finding information on the properties of materials that affect the behavior of electromagnetic waves, specifically their ability to reflect, absorb or allow them to pass through. The person is directed to read the General Physics FAQ subforum for guidance, but they are unsure if they will find the answer there. The other person points out that there is a relevant article on the topic, despite the title not appearing to be so.
Entanglement
What are the properties that make materials reflect or absorb a certain EM wave or just allow it to pass through ( transparency ) ??

Science news on Phys.org
Start by reading the General Physics FAQ subforum.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Start by reading the General Physics FAQ subforum.

Zz.
Thanks a lot for guiding me " smile " but I don't think I could find an answer for my question there

Does that mean that you read this and didn't see the relevance?

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=511177 [Broken]

Really?

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
ZapperZ said:
Does that mean that you read this and didn't see the relevance?

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=511177 [Broken]

Really?

Zz.
The title "Do Photons Move Slower in a Solid Medium?" Does not show the relevance but the article actually shows.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is reflection?

Reflection is the bouncing back of light, sound, or heat off of a surface. It occurs when the surface is smooth and shiny, allowing the light to bounce off at the same angle it hit the surface.

2. How does transparency work?

Transparency is the property of allowing light to pass through a material without scattering or absorbing it. This is typically seen in materials that are clear, such as glass or water.

3. What is absorption?

Absorption is when light, sound, or heat is taken in and not reflected or transmitted. This can happen when the surface of a material is rough or dark, causing the energy to be converted to heat.

4. How do these properties affect color?

Reflection and absorption affect the color of an object. Objects that appear white reflect all colors of light, while objects that appear black absorb all colors. Translucent objects appear to have a color because they both reflect and transmit light.

5. How can these properties be used in everyday life?

Reflection, transparency, and absorption have many practical applications in everyday life. For example, the reflective properties of mirrors are used in bathrooms and dressing rooms, while the transparency of glass is used in windows and eyeglasses. Absorption is utilized in solar panels to convert sunlight into energy. These properties also play a role in photography, art, and design.