Is There a Way to Prove Normalization of the BCS Equation?

In summary, the conversation is about the normalization of the BCS equation, specifically the proof that <psi|psi>=1. The solution involves showing that the factors in the BCS wavefunction are orthogonal, and using algebraic tricks and the special properties of the vacuum state to evaluate the terms. The conversation also briefly touches on technical issues with the website.
michaeltorrent
hi

i have superconductor question, need someone familiar with this field.

does anyone know how to prove normalization of bcs equation?

<psi|psi>=1

given uk^2 + vk^2 =1

i went through the Heisenberg algebra but still can't solve it.

any guide?

Physics news on Phys.org
The BCS wavefunction can be written as a product of factors like [tex] u_k | 0 ,k\rangle + v_k | 1,k \rangle [/tex] where the states refer to an unoccupied or occupied Cooper pair (k spin up, -k spin down). The normalization condition boils down the normalization of these factor states. Using the fact the [tex] | 0,k \rangle [/tex] and [tex] |1,k \rangle [/tex] are orthogonal, can you prove that you must have [tex] u_k^2 + v_k^2 = 1[/tex] for normalization of the BCS state?

Hope this helps, and if you still have trouble let me know.

Last edited:
thanks. i am new here, please excuse my latex typing if there is error, i am not used to this:

we have:

[tex] |\psi>=\prod_k [u_k + v_k b*]|0> [/tex]

i want to prove
[tex] <\psi |\psi>=1 [/tex]

i do the product but still cannot get rid of b and b* terms. is there an algerbraic trick there? thanks.

btw does anyone know why whenever i open a thread the screen keeps on scrolling down to the bottom page until the download finishes? is something wrong with my browser? or is it normal for this website?

Each of those factors adds (or removes, in the case of the adjoint) an even number of electrons: zero for the [tex] u_k [/tex] part and two for the [tex] v_k [/tex] part. Because all the states are different, any two of those factors can be exchanged since each such exchange involves an even number of fermion exchanges i.e. [tex] (-1)^2 = 1 [/tex]. The exception to this rule is when a factor meets its adjoint. If you call [tex] f_k = u_k + v_k b^+_k [/tex], then the normalization condition boils down to a bunch of terms like [tex] f^+_k f_k ,[/tex] and by exchanging such terms (see above) you should be able to evaluate them easily using the special properties of the vacuum state.

Last edited:
Alternatively, (well, actually it's much the same thing), you could show that the state [itex]|1 \rangle \equiv b^{\dagger} |0 \rangle [/itex] is orthonormal to the vacuum state, given that the sum of the squares adds to 1.

is [b,b*]=1-ndown-nup ?
then we have bb* - b*b = 1 -ndown - nup
so
bb* = b*b + 1 - ndown - nup
and b|0> = 0 so b*b terms dissapear?

Last edited:

1. What is the BCS equation and how does it relate to superconductors?

The BCS equation, named after its creators John Bardeen, Leon Cooper, and John Schrieffer, is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of electrons in a superconductor. It explains how electrons form Cooper pairs, which are responsible for the phenomenon of superconductivity.

2. How does the BCS equation explain the zero resistance observed in superconductors?

The BCS equation predicts that at low temperatures, electrons in a superconductor will form Cooper pairs and move through the material without experiencing any resistance. This is because the pairs of electrons are able to overcome any obstacles in their path due to their coherent behavior, leading to zero resistance.

3. Can the BCS equation be used to predict the critical temperature of a superconductor?

Yes, the BCS equation can be used to predict the critical temperature at which a material will transition into a superconducting state. The equation takes into account factors such as the strength of the electron pairing, the density of electrons in the material, and the strength of the electron-phonon interaction.

4. What are the limitations of the BCS equation?

The BCS equation is limited in its application to conventional superconductors, which are materials that exhibit superconductivity at relatively low temperatures. It does not accurately describe the behavior of unconventional superconductors, which have higher critical temperatures and different mechanisms for superconductivity.

5. How has the BCS equation contributed to our understanding of superconductivity?

The BCS equation is a fundamental cornerstone of the theory of superconductivity and has greatly contributed to our understanding of this phenomenon. It has helped explain the properties of superconductors, such as zero resistance and the Meissner effect, and has also led to the discovery of new superconducting materials with higher critical temperatures.