Change of Variables in L[u]: Hyperbolic Transformation to Wave Operator

In summary, the given transformation to moving coordinates allows for L[u] to be represented as a multiple of the wave operator, where A is not equal to zero and the mixed-partial operator must be hyperbolic. This can be achieved by using the chain rule to find the necessary partial derivatives and substituting them into the original expression for L[u].
stunner5000pt
define [tex] L = a \frac{\partial^2u}{\partial t^2} + B \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x \partial t} + C \frac{\partial^2u}{\partial x^2} = 0 [/tex]

show that if L is hyperbolic then and A is not zero the transofmartion to moving coordinates
[tex] x' = x - \frac{B}{2A} t [/tex]
[tex] t' = t [/tex]
tkaes L into a multiple of the wave operator
now how would igo about changing the variables in L to x' and t'?

i mean i could certainly find out
[tex] \frac{\partial x}{\partial u} [/tex] amd [tex] \frac{\partial t'}{\partial u} [/tex] and use this identity that
[tex] \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} = \frac{1}{\frac{\partial x}{\partial u}} [/tex]

but I am not sure how to proceed from there
please help

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm afraid I'm not sure what is meant by "multiple of the wave operator", but when doing these things I use the chain rule procedure like this,

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial u}{\partial x'}\cdot \frac{\partial x'}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial u}{\partial t'}\cdot \frac{\partial t'}{\partial x}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial t} = \frac{\partial u}{\partial x'}\cdot \frac{\partial x'}{\partial t} + \frac{\partial u}{\partial t'}\cdot \frac{\partial t'}{\partial t}[/tex]

You can get [tex]\frac{\partial x'}{\partial x},\frac{\partial x'}{\partial t},\frac{\partial t'}{\partial x},\frac{\partial t'}{\partial t}[/tex] from your transformation expressions.

Then you can continue to work out the 2nd partial derivatives and substitute into the original expression for L.

I got,

[tex]L = \left(C - \frac{B^2}{4A}\right)\cdot \frac{\partial ^2 u}{\partial x'^2} + A\cdot \frac{\partial ^2 u}{\partial t'^2} = 0[/tex]
(not checked)

Last edited:
stunner5000pt said:
define [tex] L = a \frac{\partial^2u}{\partial t^2} + B \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x \partial t} + C \frac{\partial^2u}{\partial x^2} = 0 [/tex]
show that if L is hyperbolic then and A is not zero the transofmartion to moving coordinates
[tex] x' = x - \frac{B}{2A} t [/tex]
[tex] t' = t [/tex]

Really I think that x prime, y prime makes it more confussing. Better to let:

[tex]w=x-\frac{B}{2A}t[/tex]

[tex]z=t[/tex]

Easier to follow this way and less likely to make a mistake by forgetting a prime or putting one where one doesn't belong.

saltydog said:
Really I think that x prime, y prime makes it more confussing...
Agreed.

Normally, I would use,

[tex]\zeta = \zeta (x,t)[/tex]
[tex]\phi = \phi(x,t)[/tex]

Alright, now I understand what's goin' on and I wish for the record to modify my statements above and perhaps help Stunner as well: The use of the notation:

[tex]x^{'}=x-\frac{B}{2A}t[/tex]

[tex]t^{'}=t[/tex]

maintains the standard notation for the wave equation which I'll write in operator notation:

[tex]\left(\frac{\partial^2}{\partial t^2}-v^2\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}\right)u=0[/tex]

Fermat stated above which I verified:

[tex]\left(C-\frac{B^2}{4A}\right)\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x'^2}+A\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial t'^2}=0[/tex]

or:

[tex]A\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial t'^2}+\left(\frac{4AC-B^2}{4A}\right)\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x'^2}=0[/tex]

[tex]A\left[\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial t'^2}+\left(\frac{4AC-B^2}{4A^2}\right)\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x'^2}\right]=0[/tex]

[tex]A\left[\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial t'^2}-\left(\frac{B^2-4AC}{4A^2}\right)\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x'^2}\right]=0[/tex]

[tex]A\left[\frac{\partial^2}{\partial t'^2}-\left(\frac{\sqrt{B^2-4AC}}{2A}\right)^2\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x'^2}\right]u=0[/tex]

Thus being the wave operator multiplied by A. Note also how this form shows why the requirement that the mixed-partial operator must be hyperbolic, that is:

[tex]B^2-4AC>0[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is a change of variables in L[u] and why is it important?

A change of variables in L[u] refers to transforming a given differential equation into a different form by substituting variables. It is important because it can simplify the equation, making it easier to solve, or reveal new insights about the problem.

2. What is a hyperbolic transformation and how does it relate to wave operators?

A hyperbolic transformation is a mathematical technique used to transform a differential equation into a simpler form by substituting hyperbolic functions. It is often used in the study of wave equations, which are described by hyperbolic partial differential equations. Therefore, a hyperbolic transformation can help convert a wave equation into a simpler form, known as a wave operator.

3. How do you perform a hyperbolic transformation in L[u]?

To perform a hyperbolic transformation in L[u], you first need to identify the appropriate substitution of variables. This can be done by analyzing the given differential equation and looking for patterns or similarities to known hyperbolic equations. Once the substitution is determined, you can use the chain rule to transform the equation into a simpler form.

4. What are some benefits of using a hyperbolic transformation in L[u]?

Some benefits of using a hyperbolic transformation in L[u] include simplifying the equation, making it easier to solve, and revealing new insights about the problem. It can also help in finding specific solutions to the equation and identifying important properties of the solution.

5. Are there any limitations to using a hyperbolic transformation in L[u]?

While a hyperbolic transformation can be a powerful tool in solving differential equations, it may not always be possible to find an appropriate substitution of variables. Additionally, the transformation may introduce new complexities to the equation, making it more difficult to solve. It is important to carefully consider the benefits and limitations before using a hyperbolic transformation in L[u].