I don't understand why this is wrong (Work and kinetic energy problem)

In summary, the problem involves a block of mass 6.4 kg being vertically lowered with a constant downward acceleration of g/2. The work done by the cord's force on the block is 3Mgd/2, but there may be an error due to using the wrong sign for the acceleration. The work done by the gravitational force on the block is Mg/2, and the kinetic energy and speed of the block can be calculated once the correct equation is used.
frankfjf
Okay, here's the problem:

A cord is used to vertically lower an initially stationary block of mass M = 6.4 kg at a constant downward acceleration of g/2. When the block has fallen a distance d = 4.8 m, find (a) the work done by the cord's force on the block, (b) the work done by the gravitational force on the block, (c) the kinetic energy of the block, and (d) the speed of the block. (Note : Take the downward direction positive)

For a I come up with the equation:

F - Mg = Mg/2.

Solving for F I get:

F = 3Mg/2

Plugigng this into the basic equation for work I get:

W = 3Mgd/2

But when I plug in my values for M, g, and d, I get a wrong answer. Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
frankfjf said:
Okay, here's the problem:

A cord is used to vertically lower an initially stationary block of mass M = 6.4 kg at a constant downward acceleration of g/2. When the block has fallen a distance d = 4.8 m, find (a) the work done by the cord's force on the block, (b) the work done by the gravitational force on the block, (c) the kinetic energy of the block, and (d) the speed of the block. (Note : Take the downward direction positive)

For a I come up with the equation:

F - Mg = Mg/2.

Solving for F I get:

F = 3Mg/2

Plugigng this into the basic equation for work I get:

W = 3Mgd/2

But when I plug in my values for M, g, and d, I get a wrong answer. Why?

If there is a *downward* acceleration of g/2, it means that [itex] a_y = - g/2 [/itex]. You used +g/2 in your equation.

But it says to take the downward direction to be positive.

frankfjf said:
But it says to take the downward direction to be positive.

All right. Then your equation should be -F + Mg = Mg/2

nrqed said:
All right. Then your equation should be -F + Mg = Mg/2

And then when you calculate the work done, F is upward and d is downward.

-Dan

1. Why is it important to understand work and kinetic energy?

Understanding work and kinetic energy is crucial in order to comprehend the fundamental concepts of physics and how objects interact with each other. It helps us to explain and predict the motion of objects and determine the amount of energy needed to perform certain tasks.

2. What is the difference between work and kinetic energy?

Work is the amount of energy transferred to or from an object when a force is applied to it and it moves a certain distance in the direction of the force. Kinetic energy, on the other hand, is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is directly proportional to the mass and square of the velocity of the object.

3. Can work and kinetic energy be negative?

Yes, both work and kinetic energy can be negative. Negative work occurs when the force applied to an object is in the opposite direction of its motion, resulting in a decrease in kinetic energy. Negative kinetic energy can occur in certain scenarios where the velocity of the object is negative, such as when it is moving in the opposite direction of a positive reference frame.

4. How do I solve work and kinetic energy problems?

To solve work and kinetic energy problems, you must first identify the forces acting on the object and their directions. Then, use the relevant equations for work and kinetic energy to calculate the values. It is important to pay attention to units and use the correct formulas for the specific scenario.

5. What are some real-life examples of work and kinetic energy?

Some real-life examples of work and kinetic energy include pushing a cart, throwing a ball, riding a bike, and driving a car. In all of these scenarios, work is being done and kinetic energy is being transferred or used. Other examples can include a roller coaster, a swinging pendulum, and a moving train.