Troubleshooting Convex Mirror: Image Distance & Magnification

In summary, the author was trying to figure out how to calculate the image distance and lateral magnification for an object that is standing on a convex mirror. The author forgot all about convex mirrors and instead tried to calculate it using real and virtual image concepts. However, the author was not successful and needed help from the instructor.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone, I seem to be getting all the mirrors right that where concave but now i have a convex one and it doesn't seem to be working when im' finding the image distance and magnification/properties.

Here is the problem:
Object O stands on the central axis of a spherical mirror. The table gives object distance p, the type of mirror, and focal distance f. Find the image distance i and the lateral magnification m of the object, including signs.

p (cm) Mirror f (cm) i (cm) m
+8.3 convex *13 wrong check mark wrong check mark
* sign not given

Heres my work: both the i and the m where wrong, i also tried postive values for the i and it was also wrong.
http://suprfile.com/src/1/69p5rx/lastscan.jpg I did get the last part of the question right though, i said it was going to be
upright, behind the mirror and virtual

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
First off, you haven't drawn a picture! Ray diagrams are very useful in these types of problems. The tricky part of lenses is making sure that all your signs are correct. For this type of mirror, I believe the focal length is negative. Do you understand what the difference is between a real and a virtual image? Do you understand what is meant by the focal length? The diagram will be helpful. Draw a convex mirror with an object in front, then draw the light-rays coming off the object and see where they go after bouncing off the mirror. Plugging and chugging won't help you understand the concepts, and a good understanding of the concepts is the key to tricky test questions.

Thanks again Eep! I forgot all about convex mirros, the focal length is always negative u treat it as a diverging lens i guess! It wokred! wee!

1. What is a convex mirror?

A convex mirror is a curved mirror that bulges outwards, creating a wider field of view compared to a flat mirror. It is commonly used as a side mirror on vehicles and in security mirrors.

2. How is the image distance of a convex mirror calculated?

The image distance of a convex mirror can be calculated using the formula: 1/f = 1/do + 1/di, where f is the focal length of the mirror, do is the object distance, and di is the image distance.

3. What is the relationship between the object distance and image distance in a convex mirror?

In a convex mirror, the object distance and image distance are always positive, meaning they are on the same side of the mirror. The image distance is always smaller than the object distance, and as the object distance increases, the image distance decreases.

4. How is magnification calculated for a convex mirror?

The magnification of a convex mirror can be calculated using the formula: m = -di/do, where m is the magnification, di is the image distance, and do is the object distance. The negative sign indicates that the image is virtual and upright.

5. How does distance affect the size of the image in a convex mirror?

In a convex mirror, the image size decreases as the object distance increases. This means that objects appear smaller in a convex mirror compared to their actual size. However, the wider field of view allows for a larger area to be seen.