2 Derivations of Solenoid's Magnetic Field - Problem

In summary, there are two methods for finding the magnetic field inside a solenoid along its axis. One method uses Ampere's law and the other involves integrating the equation for the B field of a single ring over the length of the solenoid. The latter method results in an extra factor of (1/2), which can be explained by the asymmetry of the semi-infinite solenoid used in the integration. In order to obtain the same result as Ampere's law, the integration must be done over symmetric limits.
sprinkler
Hello,

I have been asked to find the magnetic field inside a solenoid (along its axis)using two methods. One is using Ampere's law (and the approximation that the B field is zero outside the solenoid). Here is what I get:

B = (uIN)/(L)

where I is current, N is the number of loops, and L=length of solenoid.

The other method is integrating the equation for the B field of a single ring, over the length of the solenoid. Here is what i get:

B = (uIN)/(2L) * [ Z/(R^2 + Z^2)^(1/2) - (Z-L)/(R^2 + (Z-L)^2)^(1/2) ]

where R is the radius of the solenoid, Z is the location on the "z" axis where I wish to calculate the magnetic field. (Can also be seen here: http://www.netdenizen.com/emagnettest/solenoids/?thinsolenoid)

Now with this second equation, if I make the approximation that L>>R, it boils down to this:

B = (uIN)/(2L)

(basically only the initial constants remain, the rest of the equation ends up equaling one)

However this is not what I found with amperes law, there is an extra factor of (1/2). Can anyone explain why?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sprinkler said:
However this is not what I found with amperes law, there is an extra factor of (1/2). Can anyone explain why?
The reason why is subtle and has to do with how you did the integral and what it means to let the length become large relative to the radius. You took the limits of integration from zero to ##L## and then allowed ##L## to become large. That is not an infinite solenoid, it is a semi-infinite solenoid because it starts at z = 0 and points closer to that end have a different field than points farther in because of the asymmetry.

In an "infinite" solenoid every point on the axis must be equivalent to any other point, i.e. all points must be equally far away from the ends. That is achieved if you place the origin in the middle and integrate over symmetric limits from ##(-L/2)## to ##(+L/2)##. In that case you get $$B(z)=\frac{\mu_0NI}{2L}\left(\frac{z+\frac{L}{2}}{\sqrt{\left(z+\frac{L}{2}\right)^2+R^2}}-\frac{z-\frac{L}{2}}{\sqrt{\left(z-\frac{L}{2}\right)^2+R^2}}\right).$$ When ##L>>z,R##, this expression reduces to the one obtained using Ampere's law.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is a solenoid and how does it produce a magnetic field?

A solenoid is a long, cylindrical coil of wire with multiple turns. When an electric current flows through the wire, it creates a magnetic field inside the coil. The direction of the magnetic field is determined by the direction of the current flowing through the wire.

2. What is the first derivation of the solenoid's magnetic field?

The first derivation of the solenoid's magnetic field is based on Ampere's law, which states that the magnetic field around a closed loop is proportional to the current passing through the loop. By applying this law to a solenoid, we can calculate the magnetic field inside the solenoid as μ0nI, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, n is the number of turns per unit length, and I is the current flowing through the solenoid.

3. What is the second derivation of the solenoid's magnetic field?

The second derivation of the solenoid's magnetic field is based on the Biot-Savart law, which states that the magnetic field at a point due to a current-carrying wire is proportional to the current, the length of the wire, and the sine of the angle between the wire and the point of interest. By considering the contributions of each segment of the solenoid's wire, we can calculate the magnetic field at a point inside the solenoid as μ0nI, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, n is the number of turns per unit length, and I is the current flowing through the solenoid.

4. How is the magnetic field inside a solenoid different from the magnetic field outside the solenoid?

The magnetic field inside a solenoid is uniform and parallel to the axis of the solenoid, while the magnetic field outside the solenoid is weak and mostly confined to the ends of the solenoid. This is because the magnetic field lines inside the solenoid are concentrated due to the multiple turns of wire, while the magnetic field lines outside the solenoid cancel each other out.

5. Can the strength of a solenoid's magnetic field be increased?

Yes, the strength of a solenoid's magnetic field can be increased by increasing the current flowing through the wire, increasing the number of turns per unit length, or using a material with a higher permeability. Additionally, placing a ferromagnetic material inside the solenoid can also increase the strength of the magnetic field due to the material's ability to concentrate the magnetic field lines.