What are the problems that need help with?

• Thread starter obnoxious
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, Sonny is trying to figure out why his answer to an equation doesn't work, but he has a list of problems to be answered.
obnoxious
Hi just wanted to do an introductory before i ask for anyone's appreciated help. My name is Sonny, freshman in college and currently working on motion. My homework is on online so the computer system is frustrating sometimes. I need your help because I'm confused on why my answer doesn't work, but I have a list of problems to be answered though.

(1)The position of an electron is given by r = 5.00t i - 5.00t2 j + 4.00 k, with t in seconds and r in meters.

(a) What is the electron's velocity v(t)?
5 m/s i + -10 t m/s j + 0 m/s k
(b) What is v in unit-vector notation at t = 5.00 s?
5 m/s i + -50 m/s j + 0 m/s k
(c) What is the magnitude of v at t = 5.00 s?
50.2 m/s

I need help on this question. All of the above are correct
(d) What angle does v make with the positive direction of the x-axis at t = 5.00 s?
??° (from the +x axis)

I tried and i got 84.3 degrees

(2)A baseball leaves a pitcher's hand horizontally at a speed of 164 km/h. The distance to the batter is 18.3 m. Neglect air resistance.

(a) How long does it take for the ball to travel the first half of that distance?
.2s
(b) How long does it take for the ball to travel the second half of that distance?
.2s
(c) How far does the ball fall under gravity during the first half?
.2m

I need help on this.

(d) How far does the ball fall under gravity during the second half?
??m.

I tried and i got -0.5, 0.5, and -1.

(3)In Fig. 4-49, a stone is projected at a cliff of height h with an initial speed of 42.0 m/s directed 60.0° above the horizontal. The stone strikes at A, 5.00 s after launching.
http://www.webassign.net/hrw/04_32.gif

(a) Find the height, h, of the cliff.
??m
(b) Find the speed of the stone just before impact at A.
??m/s
(c) Find the maximum height H reached above the ground.
??m

I need help on this completely and I don't know when to incorporate the h

(4)You throw a ball with a speed of 15 m/s at an angle of 40.0° above the horizontal directly toward a wall (Fig. 4-35). The wall is 22.0 m from the release point of the ball.

(a) How long does the ball take to reach the wall?
1.91s

I need help on this.
(b) How far above the release point does the ball hit the wall?
?? m
(c) What are the horizontal and vertical components of its velocity as it hits the wall?
11.5m/s (horizontal)
??m/s (vertical)

For (b) I got .53meters and for (c) Vertical I got 9.56m/s

(5)A cat rides a merry-go-round while turning with uniform circular motion. At time t1 = 2.00 s, the cat's velocity is v1 = (1.50) i + (4.00 m/s) j, measured on a horizontal xy coordinate system. At time t2 = 8.00 s, a half-revolution later, its velocity is v2 = (-1.50 m/s) i + (-4.00 m/s) j.

(a) What is the magnitude of the cat's centripetal acceleration?
??m/s2
(b) What is the magnitude of the cat's average acceleration during the time interval t2 - t1?
??m/s2

for (a) i got 1.17 and for (b) i got 3.04

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
obnoxious said:
Hi just wanted to do an introductory before i ask for anyone's appreciated help. My name is Sonny, freshman in college and currently working on motion. My homework is on online so the computer system is frustrating sometimes. I need your help because I'm confused on why my answer doesn't work, but I have a list of problems to be answered though.

(1)The position of an electron is given by r = 5.00t i - 5.00t2 j + 4.00 k, with t in seconds and r in meters.

(a) What is the electron's velocity v(t)?
5 m/s i + -10 t m/s j + 0 m/s k
(b) What is v in unit-vector notation at t = 5.00 s?
5 m/s i + -50 m/s j + 0 m/s k
(c) What is the magnitude of v at t = 5.00 s?
50.2 m/s

I need help on this question. All of the above are correct
(d) What angle does v make with the positive direction of the x-axis at t = 5.00 s?
??° (from the +x axis)

I tried and i got 84.3 degrees
Which can't be right. Just sketch your vector, where is it pointing?
I guess that you forgot to include the minus sign of the y component.

i = x component and j = y component (i,j) so (5,-50). x-axis is the t and y-axis is the v so from the horizontal just find the angle using tangent? If i use tangent would the sign of the y component really matter?

Cool i got the answer. Now about the other problems still need help for them. I need to turn these in at midnight

1. What is the difference between 2-dimensional motion and 3-dimensional motion?

2-dimensional motion refers to movement that occurs in a flat plane, such as up and down or side to side. This is typically represented by a graph with an x and y axis. 3-dimensional motion, on the other hand, involves movement in a three-dimensional space, with the addition of a z axis. This allows for movement in all directions, including forward and backward.

2. How is velocity calculated in 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional motion?

In both 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional motion, velocity is calculated as the change in position over time. In 2-dimensional motion, this is typically represented as a vector with both magnitude and direction. In 3-dimensional motion, velocity is represented as a vector with three components: x, y, and z.

3. What are some real-life examples of 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional motion?

Some examples of 2-dimensional motion include a car driving on a flat road, a ball bouncing up and down, and a plane flying in a straight line. 3-dimensional motion can be seen in a rocket launching into space, a bird flying in the sky, and a person walking on uneven terrain.

4. How does gravity play a role in 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional motion?

Gravity is a force that affects both 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional motion. In 2-dimensional motion, gravity only acts in the vertical direction, causing objects to accelerate towards the ground. In 3-dimensional motion, gravity acts in all three dimensions, pulling objects towards the center of the Earth.

5. What are some important equations used in analyzing 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional motion?

Some important equations used in 2-dimensional motion include the equations for velocity, acceleration, and distance: v = d/t, a = (vf - vi)/t, and d = v0t + 1/2at^2. In 3-dimensional motion, these equations are expanded to include the additional z axis. Additionally, the Pythagorean theorem is often used to calculate the magnitude of a vector in 3-dimensional motion.