Finding the number of revolutions

• Thread starter aligass2004
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Revolutions
In summary, a 12cm diameter compact disk takes 2.7s to reach its operating angular velocity of 2005rpm with a constant angular acceleration and a moment of inertia of 2.5 x 10-5 kgm^2. To solve for the torque applied to the disk, use t = I(delta w/delta t) and for the number of revolutions made before reaching full speed, use delta theta = wi (delta t) + 1/2(alpha)(delta time)^2, dividing the answer by 2(pi) to get it in radians.
aligass2004

Homework Statement

Starting from rest, a 12cm diameter compact disk takes 2.7s to reach its operating angular velocity of 2005rpm. Assume that the angular acceleration is constant. The disk's moment of inertia is 2.5 x 10-5 kgm^2.
a.) How much torque is applied to the disk?
b.) How many revolutions does it make before reaching full speed?

Homework Equations

t=I(alpha)

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a I used t = I(delta w/delta t). I found w by finding the frequency (33.417rev/s), and then I plugged f into w = (2pi radians)f to get 209.965. I then found torque to be 1.944 x 10-3 Nm. I am unsure of how to solve for part b.

Physics news on Phys.org
I tried using delta theta = wi (delta t) + 1/2(alpha)(delta time)^2. I got 283.453, but that wasn't right.

Divide by 2(pi) to put your answer in radians

1. What is the formula for finding the number of revolutions?

The formula for finding the number of revolutions is revolutions = distance / circumference, where distance is the total distance traveled and circumference is the distance around the circular path.

2. How do you measure the distance and circumference for this calculation?

The distance can be measured using a measuring tape or ruler, while the circumference can be calculated using the formula 2 x π x radius, where π is approximately 3.14 and radius is the distance from the center of the circle to the edge.

3. Can the number of revolutions be negative?

No, the number of revolutions cannot be negative as it represents a physical count of the number of times an object has completed a full rotation.

4. Is this calculation only applicable to circular objects?

Yes, this calculation is only applicable to circular objects as it involves measuring the distance traveled around a circular path.

5. What units should be used for the distance and circumference?

The units used for the distance and circumference should be consistent, such as both being measured in meters or both in centimeters. It is important to use the same units to ensure an accurate calculation.