What is the solution for the quantum homework questions?

• Thread starter noospace
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quantum
The eigenstates for the full system (electron and nucleus) have the form |nuclear spin,electron spin> or |I,m_I; s,m_s> [where the I and s values are 1/2 for the deuteron].In summary, the conversation discusses a beam of z-oriented electrons and their measurement in the +/- x-directions when passed through an x-oriented Stern-Gerlach machine, as well as the composition of the ket for the total angular momentum of deuterium. It is concluded that the WF given for the z-oriented electrons is incorrect and for the deuterium, the lowering operators can be applied since there is no orbital contribution to the angular momentum.
noospace

Homework Statement

1. Consider a beam of z-oriented electrons, 80 % up, 20 % down which is passed through an x-oriented Stern-Gerlach machine. What percentage of electrons are measured in the +/- x-directions?

2. Consider deuterium. Nuclear spin = 1 with 1 electron orbiting in the n =1 state. Write down the ket for the total angular momentum [itex]|\frac{3}{2} \frac{1}{2}\rangle[/itex] as a linear combination of composite states.

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I write the eigenstates of [itex]S_z[/itex] in a superposition [itex]\sqrt{0.8} (1,0)^T + \sqrt{0.2} (1,0)^T[/itex] (where T denotes transpose) and set it equal to an linear combination of the [itex]S_x[/itex] eigenstates [itex]a(1,1)^T + b(1,-1)^T[/itex]. Solving for a and b I get 45 % and 5 %. Interestingly they don't add to 100 % which was what I was expecting. Is this physically reasonable?

2. Do I just write [itex]|3/2,3/2\rangle = |1,1\rangle |1/2,1/2 \rangle[/itex] and apply lowering operators? I can do this because l = 0 so there is no orbital contribution to the angular momentum right?

Physics news on Phys.org
"Consider a beam of z-oriented electrons, 80 % up, 20 % down"

This does not mean the WF you wrote. Each electron would be either pure up or pure down, and 1/2 would go each way in the z direction, just as for an umpolarized beam.
A problem here is that the usual SG experiment does not work for charged particles.

You are correct for 2.

What is quantum homework?

Quantum homework is a type of homework assignment that focuses on the principles and theories of quantum mechanics. It involves solving problems and equations related to quantum mechanics and understanding the fundamental concepts of this field of physics.

What are some common topics covered in quantum homework?

Some common topics covered in quantum homework include wave-particle duality, superposition, quantum entanglement, quantum tunneling, and the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. These topics are essential in understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

Why is quantum homework important?

Quantum homework is important because it helps students develop critical thinking skills and deepen their understanding of the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics. It also prepares them for advanced studies in physics and other fields that utilize quantum mechanics, such as chemistry, engineering, and computer science.

How can I approach solving quantum homework problems?

To solve quantum homework problems, it is essential to have a solid understanding of the underlying principles and equations. It is also helpful to break down the problem into smaller steps and use visual aids, such as diagrams or graphs, to better understand the concepts. Additionally, practicing regularly and seeking help from peers or instructors can also improve problem-solving skills in quantum homework.

What resources are available to help with quantum homework?

There are various resources available to help with quantum homework, including textbooks, online lectures and tutorials, practice problems and solutions, and study groups. It is also beneficial to consult with professors or teaching assistants for clarification or additional guidance on quantum homework assignments.