Is Beauty Objective? - Get Exam Help Now!

• Thread starter beccalicious87
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beauty
In summary: Expectation? belief? in order to be meaningful.In summary, the question is about whether or not beauty is objective. The author defines beauty as a sense of harmony of parts of a unit and holds that it can be objective. They go on to say that an idea can be beautiful, and that beauty is not only in the eye of the beholder.
beccalicious87
i was just wondering if someone could please help me
i have an exam tm and was wondering if you could please give me some ideas on what to write about
the question is beauty objective??
what does this mean??
thankyou

Physics news on Phys.org
The question could be extended: "Is beauty objective, or is beauty in the eye of the beholder?"

so what would be some tips on what to write about??

beccalicious87 said:
so what would be some tips on what to write about??

First define your terms.

What is objective?
What is beauty?

Let us try these definitions:

Beauty is a sense of harmony of parts of a unit as viewed by the rational consciousness

A Unit is a thing held in the consciousness as being a member of a group of two or more similar members (thus what exists is not the unit but the thing)

To be Objective is to hold that concepts OF VALUE such as beauty of a unit are a dialectic formed in the human consciousness as: (1) determined by the metaphysical reality of the unit, and (2) as discovered and judged by the epistemology (= reason) of the rational consciousness. Thus to be objective is to hold to a dialectic philosophy that entangles metaphysics and epistemology.

Using these definitions one can see how beauty of a unit can be objective. Beauty is NEITHER only in the eye of the beholder NOR is it only in the object, but beauty is a dialectic--it is the objective superposition of the object as a thing (metaphysics) as judged (epistemology) as a unit by the rational beholder. This is how I see it, fire away with comments.

Hmm..I'd rather take a more humble, empirical approach:
We might regard those elements/features of the world as objectively (or at least intersubjectively) beautiful that all humans find beautiful.

I.e. "objective beauty" is a statistical extreme on a spectrum ending in the other extreme of "objective ugliness".

Rade said:
Let us try these definitions:

Beauty is a sense of harmony of parts of a unit as viewed by the rational consciousness

A Unit is a thing held in the consciousness as being a member of a group of two or more similar members (thus what exists is not the unit but the thing)

To be Objective is to hold that concepts OF VALUE such as beauty of a unit are a dialectic formed in the human consciousness as: (1) determined by the metaphysical reality of the unit, and (2) as discovered and judged by the epistemology (= reason) of the rational consciousness. Thus to be objective is to hold to a dialectic philosophy that entangles metaphysics and epistemology.

Using these definitions one can see how beauty of a unit can be objective. Beauty is NEITHER only in the eye of the beholder NOR is it only in the object, but beauty is a dialectic--it is the objective superposition of the object as a thing (metaphysics) as judged (epistemology) as a unit by the rational beholder. This is how I see it, fire away with comments.

Can an idea by beautiful? I'm thinking math here... but it would apply across the board.
That is, does objective apply only to physical objects of perception?

JoeDawg said:
Can an idea by beautiful? I'm thinking math here... but it would apply across the board.That is, does objective apply only to physical objects of perception?
Well sure an idea can be beautiful. Consider the Einstein Field Equation of General Relativity: [Rµv – ½ gµv R] = [8 pi Tµv]. The left side of the equation describes how the geometry of spacetime is warped and curved by matter--the right side of equation describes the movement of matter in the gravitational field. As stated by physicist John Wheeler, "matter tells spacetime how to curve, and curved space tells matter how to move". This idea, this equation, is objectively beautiful--it is, as I defined in previous post " a sense of harmony of parts of a unit as viewed by the rational consciousness". Here is what Einstein wrote to a friend, Heinrich Zangger, on Nov. 26, 1915 after it was published---"The theory is of incomparable beauty".

Some go with a gut feeling, an emotional response. Others a mental reaction.
I think some comparison to the Sapir Whorf hypothesis might make an interesting paper.

Rade said:
Well sure an idea can be beautiful.

Thats not addressing my question. What you are saying here is that the relationship that exists in nature is beautiful. The equation is not that, the equation is just a symbolic description of part of what exists in nature. And by its very nature your equation is incomplete as it does not fully describe nature. It is therefore not in harmony with 'reality'.

It represents one point of view on nature, which is not objective in any sense. Representations are inherently subjective, since they demand a point of view.

I think beauty is objective in the sense that it is subjective.

Objective in an empirical sense in that it could probably be defined per person based off of some physical aspects regarding their brains, and how they perceive with their likes and dislikes. However it is subjective in the sense that it does differ from person to person depending on their dispositions.

JoeDawg said:
Can an idea by beautiful? I'm thinking math here... but it would apply across the board.
That is, does objective apply only to physical objects of perception?
A song can make me tear up. Bucky Covington's A Different World
Modern jazz can make me tear up the stereo.

Math might be perfectly capable of making someone come to tears and if so I would say it must be beautiful. Very subjective thing. What makes me want to puke, like 200 lashes for a victim of gang rape, no! Not beautiful.

JoeDawg said:
Thats not addressing my question. What you are saying here is that the relationship that exists in nature is beautiful. The equation is not that, the equation is just a symbolic description of part of what exists in nature. And by its very nature your equation is incomplete as it does not fully describe nature. It is therefore not in harmony with 'reality'. It represents one point of view on nature, which is not objective in any sense. Representations are inherently subjective, since they demand a point of view.
No, I am saying that BOTH the equation (which represents the unit) and the relationship (which represents the thing) are beautiful and that this interaction is what makes the concept of beauty objective. Einstein's equation is in perfect harmony with "reality", there is nothing "subjective" about the General Theory of Relativity.

Well, I would say that the answer to this question lies in the brain.
Why do humans see things as beautiful, how does the brain do it, and what empirical implications does this have?

I like color by itself, just a pretty color alone or in contrast to other colors, why this is I don't know but I feel drawn to look at it.

It is universal that everyone desires beauty, perfection, equality...These things along with goodness and morals have no natural place in this universe. There is nothing one can say is absolutely perfect equal or good. But if there is nothing to compare these things to, how can we desire them, or recollect knowledge of an equal or a perfect or of beauty. But I think at a fundamental level of the fabric of space and time these values exist in our subconscious. For naturally but unknowingly or unwillingly our subconscious would guide us towards what is right, what is just, the vary principles of what god stands for. And these pre-existing knowledge’s exist in every one of us. So God, as creator, the perfect being, beauty, and subconscious mind embody the same things. God is our subconscious minds existing in all of us perhaps.

Rade said:
Well sure an idea can be beautiful. Consider the Einstein Field Equation of General Relativity: [Rµv – ½ gµv R] = [8 pi Tµv]. The left side of the equation describes how the geometry of spacetime is warped and curved by matter--the right side of equation describes the movement of matter in the gravitational field. As stated by physicist John Wheeler, "matter tells spacetime how to curve, and curved space tells matter how to move". This idea, this equation, is objectively beautiful--it is, as I defined in previous post " a sense of harmony of parts of a unit as viewed by the rational consciousness". Here is what Einstein wrote to a friend, Heinrich Zangger, on Nov. 26, 1915 after it was published---"The theory is of incomparable beauty".

But still... seeing these ideas or objects as harmonious as described above is undeniably subjective and personal, right?

pi/4 = 1 - 1/3 + 1/5 - 1/7 + 1/9 - 1/11 +... ==> beauty is objective

Also, there is the Milli-Helen, the (pseudo) unit of beauty. :smile:

A milli-Helen is the amount of beauty that can launch a single ship.

Source: http://www.mala.bc.ca/~johnstoi/clas101/troy.htm [Broken] Trojan war, queen Helen, renowned for her beauty, was kidnapped, her husband king Menelaus of Sparta had 1000 ships launched to get her back.

Last edited by a moderator:
al-mahed said:
pi/4 = 1 - 1/3 + 1/5 - 1/7 + 1/9 - 1/11 +... ==> beauty is objective

What exactly does this equation represent? Sorry for the ignorance guys, but it seems that if you are referring to the equation as a whole as beautiful, then that opinion is the result of the subjective nature of beauty; if you are referring to the result as a unit of beauty, then explain why our limited perception of these variables enables us to determine their beauty/harmony?

But I have no idea what I'm talking about with this equation so please do shut me down.

Hillary88 said:
But still... seeing these ideas or objects as harmonious as described above is undeniably subjective and personal, right?
No, that is my point.

Again, from my first post here are my working definitions:

When some"thing" (as viewed as a unit by consciousness) is seen as being harmonious (such as the GR equation of Einstein), there is nothing subjective involved--it is a pure objective experience between the harmonious object and your consciousness. You cannot undo the harmonious reality of GR Theory by how you feel about it. It is the difference between saying 'this person is 6 feet tall' and 'I like tall people'. The GR equation of Einstein is an objective idea as is the statement about the height of the person, but it is also a beautiful idea because it describes a sense of harmony between members of a group--matter and space.

I'm sure you have seen overlook areas while driving where random people stop to look at some natural site--why did someone make this a place to stop ?--why do people leave with a sense of seeing something of beauty ? It is because the view itself has an internal objective harmony of many, many things interacting as a whole (such as colors, shapes, rocks, trees, birds, etc) that resonates with any human consciousness as the concept called "beauty". These highway stops are a prime example of objective beauty in action for humans in general.

An act of kindness that you witness can be a thing of objective beauty to you. Why ? There is an internal harmony between the self and other of the two people involved, and you can relate that beauty to how you as a self interact with others around you. I think this a nice way for any specific human to experience the personal rapture of objective beauty.

Hillary88 said:
What exactly does this equation represent? Sorry for the ignorance guys, but it seems that if you are referring to the equation as a whole as beautiful, then that opinion is the result of the subjective nature of beauty; if you are referring to the result as a unit of beauty, then explain why our limited perception of these variables enables us to determine their beauty/harmony?

But I have no idea what I'm talking about with this equation so please do shut me down.

I think that beauty is patterns and symmetries, it is proved that beauty people have simmetric faces, bodys, etc... math is beautyfull because of that... this is what that equation represents, a pattern

So good art is beautiful?

minorwork said:
So good art is beautiful?

the question is: what is "good" art? why some paint is beautiful?

arildno said:
Hmm..I'd rather take a more humble, empirical approach:
We might regard those elements/features of the world as objectively (or at least intersubjectively) beautiful that all humans find beautiful.

I.e. "objective beauty" is a statistical extreme on a spectrum ending in the other extreme of "objective ugliness".
What makes you believe only humans have a sense of beauty? Taken into consideration all other possible systems which have a sense of beauty. The intersection of all their sets which contain the elements which they find beautiful would be the empty one by all chance.

beauty is an opinon that has been greatly influnced. i remeber a poem about a man who found beauty in the eye's of a skunk. he gave them to his wife, and it ends there. we can imagine that he could not influnce her belif that skunks are pretty, so he sleeped on the couch. overall, it is a matter of opinon and also is a way of seeing how healthy you are, and how well of a child raier/gurdian of your children they i will be. there is a reson the nerd is not attractive.

Last edited:
Have any of you guys read the book "Why Beauty is Truth" by the mathematician Ian Stewart? It's subtitled "A History of Symmetry" and it traces the historical development of mathematical ideas of symmetry - which is very interesting in and of itself - but also addresses the question of why many thinkers - Physicists in particular - feel drawn to "beautiful" equations, even going so far as to use beauty as a measure of the "correctness" of a result (like the Einstein equation cited in an earlier post).

I find it compelling, and always have. For a long time I've believed that the idea of mathematical beauty has to do with the simplicity with which complex ideas can be stated, once we have developed our understanding to a point where we can do so - often as a result of discovering symmetries, as Stewart suggests.

My favorite example is the Maxwell Equations of classical E&M. When Maxwell first wrote them down, he wrote eight equations, three each for the components of the E and B fields, and one each for what we know as the scalar equations. Once we developed an understanding of vectors, we reduced these to the four equations (two vector and two scalar) that we learn in elementary Physics, but the notion of vector spaces requires an awareness of rotational symmetry. Later we get the relativistically covariant form of the equations, which allows them to be reduced to two equations in 4-d spacetime, thanks to our awareness of the Lorentz symmetry. Finally, if we take advantage of gauge symmetry we can even summarize the original eight equations by one very simple equation (plus a definition of the E&M fields in term of the potential field).

The point is that the equations become simpler, more concise, and to most eyes more beautiful, as we understand more of the symmetries that underlie the Physics. It is that understanding that allows us to consolidate previously distinct quantities into single entities (e.g. the single E/M field vs. separate but related fields).

I believe that we are drawn to beauty in our mathematical descriptions precisely because greater beauty comes from deeper understanding.

Beautiful thread. :)

belliott4488 said:
...greater beauty comes from deeper understanding.
This is almost exactly my comprehension of what word "beauty" represents, to which I came via my personal experience with "something" I call "Ultimate Beingness" or "Ultimate Beautifulness".

I'd put it this way "The more one is aware the more beauty one experiences."

Greater awareness gives rise to greater mental understandings and deeper feeling of universal love (love for self and for all that which exists).

And yes, awareness & understanding is a two way street, the more we learn and the more we let ourselves feel the connection with everything, the more aware we become.

Knowledge is stored in our brains, while awareness is a property of our soul, as is feeling of universal love.

Existence just seems to be a of a dualistic nature ala what Yin-Yang symbol represents, in most fundamental sense Yin-Yang is Awareness and Love, but ultimately it's a single thing, it's Aware-Love. The dualistic nature appears due to various states of awareness. In Ultimate Awareness all becomes One, while in relative and limited awareness all-present love is experienced by limitations of own unique perception.

And to answer the main question: "Is beauty objective?", I'd say:

Beauty is objective (temporarily absolute) to one perceiving it, while it can be subjective (relative) when that experience is shared with others. Again, beauty is directly related to awarenes of one perceiving it.

Sorry, if this goes a bit away from the topic, but to truly understand "beauty", at least the way I do, I had to write all this.

Last edited:
Boy@n said:
Beauty is objective (temporarily absolute) to one perceiving it
This statement is (to me) an oxymoron - but it depends on your definition of "absolute". As with so many things, definition of terms is critical to understanding.

One definition of absolute (there are many to choose from) is, for example : "independent of arbitrary standards of measurement"

If something is absolute, then (by the above definition of absolute) it is independent of an arbitrary perspective/reference point.

In contrast, if something depends on an arbitrary perspective/reference point (as in your example - ie "to one perceiving it"), then it cannot (by definition) be absolute.

You are right - word "absolute" is a "difficult" one, and I did try to be careful on how I use it...

As I said, perception of beauty is absolute to the perceiver (to current state of awareness/understandings/feelings), not absolute in the universal way. (You'll see bellow why I don't agree with "your" definition of word absolute.)

Also, note that I used term "temporarily absolute", with which I meant that even if it's absolute to the perceiver at the moment, in some other moment it might be different, since awareness is not fixed, but kinda slightly fluid. Well, I think awareness alone doesn't change much in a short period of time, but perception of one depends way more than just on current personal (soul's) awareness, it also depends on current state of body (and we know how many things can affect our health and beingness, be it of internal or external origin) and brains (mainly personal thinking capacity & quality, and personal ability in how well we memorize things).

Note also, that none can truly/absolutely prove anything to anyone. We cannot even prove our own very existence to anyone else except to ourselves, and ultimately, it's not proving which matters, but how we "feel" about it. In this sense we could say that...

Our very existence is absolute to us, but relative to others.

I don't think that anything can be "independent of arbitrary standards of measurement", which was shown even in Physic, if I recall correctly, e.g. the one who's just observing the experiment affects the experiment itself (if it's true on quantum level it's also true on any level, even though we might not notice it).

So, nothing in real life is truly/absolutely objective, but always subjective.

Last edited:
Boy@n said:
none can truly/absolutely prove anything to anyone.
Proof is proof. Absence of proof is absence of proof. To add the adjective "absolute" to the word proof does not add anything in terms of meaning. Unless you could elaborate the difference between "proof" (simpliciter) and "proof absolute"?

Boy@n said:
Our very existence is absolute to us, but relative to others.
All I can say in reply is that you would seem to have a very "relative" definition of absolute, which is peculiar to yourself.

If our existence is "absolute" to us BUT relative to others, then this simply makes our existence relative (ie it depends on one's perspective). To say that our existence is "absolute" but only under particular conditions implies a rather strange meaning for the word "absolute".

Could you perhaps define what you mean precisely by the term "absolute", since it seems you disagree with my suggested definition?

moving finger said:
Proof is proof. Absence of proof is absence of proof. To add the adjective "absolute" to the word proof does not add anything in terms of meaning. Unless you could elaborate the difference between "proof" (simpliciter) and "proof absolute"?
"Absolute proof" would be describing something which is fundamentally, ultimately and always true in all possible dimensions and realms.

"Proof" describes something which works WITHIN observed realm, not necessarily in others. (Even our own reality is too strange to comprehend with common sense, for example, on quantum level time can go backwards, things do stuff which is impossible in our "normal" level of perceived reality.)

E.g. All I absolutely know is statement "I am", all else could be speculation, and dependent on my awareness, my physical senses and my mental abilities. Do you exist too? Well, you surely seem to, yet, I cannot know with absolute certainty, or at least, with such degree of certainty as I know my own existence, since I'd have to be you too! Why? You might as well be a simulated object in a simulated Universe.

moving finger said:
All I can say in reply is that you would seem to have a very "relative" definition of absolute, which is peculiar to yourself.
Well, nature of reality is peculiar ;)

Let me define words "relative" and "absolute" in regard of awareness, since all that matters in the end is being aware of things and self. Each of us is at certain state of awareness, which is what makes us unique in the first place, and secondly, our bodies and brains are very alike but also different in structure, thus, we are unique due that too. So, our current state of awareness is our "maximal" state of awareness, we CANNOT know more or better than that, so, in each moment of our life we do our "best" (of what we know, even if we lie it's still our "best"). Thus, we are "absolute" to ourselves and whole of existence due to our current "maximal" state of awareness. And at the same time we are "relative" to others, because others are in different states of awareness and knowingness. Nevertheless, our own "absoluteness" can still change with changes of awareness, our old absoluteness becomes relative to our current new absoluteness.

I know what I "want" to say, but I don't know how to say this better, so perhaps everyone could understand it. My knowledge is absolute to my current self (as is yours to current yourself), yet, it's relative to others!

Last edited:
Boy@n said:
"Absolute proof" would be something which is fundamentally, ultimately and always true in all possible dimensions and states of existence.

"Proof" would be something which works WITHIN observed realm, not necessarily in others.
A proof is a demonstration that a particular argument is valid.

All arguments have premises. What you call an "observed realm" is presumably one of these premises?

Demonstrating the validity of an argument depends on the premises. As long as the premises remain unchanged a valid argument remains valid. Change the premises, and the argument may no longer be valid.

This applies to all "proofs". I don't see how one can have two different classes of proof as you suggest, one which works even when the premises are changed, and one which does not?

To illustrate what you mean, could you perhaps give examples of what you consider to be an "absolute proof" and a "non-absolute proof"?

Boy@n said:
Let me define words "relative" and "absolute" in regard of awareness, since all that matters in the end is being aware of things and self. Each of us is at certain state of awareness, which is what makes us unique in the first place, and secondly, our bodies and brains are very alike but also different in structure, thus, we are unique due that too. So, our current state of awareness is our "maximal" state of awareness, we CANNOT know more or better than that, so, in each moment of our existence we do our "best" (of what we know, even if we lie it's still our "best"). Thus, we are "absolute" to ourselves and whole of existence due to our current "maximal" state of awareness. And at the same time we are "relative" to others, because other in different states of awareness. Yet, our own "absoluteness" changes with changes of awareness.
As I said, this seems to be a peculiar use of the terms "absolute" and "relative". You are of course entitled to define your terms as you wish, but the rest of us then need to be very careful in trying to interpret what you say when using these terms.

Boy@n said:
My knowledge is absolute to my current self (as is yours to current yourself), yet, it's relative to others!
Which means (in my view of the world) that your knowledge is simply relative (subjective), with no "absolute" (objective) aspect about it at all. Your personal knowledge depends on your unique frame of reference - and that is just what relative means (to most people). It is the antithesis of absolute (the way that the word "absolute" is normally used by most people).

moving finger said:
Which means (in my view of the world) that your knowledge is simply relative (subjective), with no "absolute" (objective) aspect about it at all. Your personal knowledge depends on your unique frame of reference - and that is just what relative means (to most people). It is the antithesis of absolute (the way that the word "absolute" is normally used by most people).
"Exactly", none of us has any absolute answers/knowledge for others, we "just" have a lot of usable and valuable answers/knowledge. And the most important knowledge of them all is one gained through our personal experience of our existence and ourselves -- and that's absolute to each of us while it can be (and usually is) relative to others.

Will return to our discussion tomorrow. Have a great day!

Last edited:
Boy@n said:
"Exactly", none of us has any absolute answers/knowledge for others, we "just" have a lot of usable and valuable answers/knowledge. And the most important knowledge of them all is one gained through our personal experience of our existence and ourselves -- and that's absolute to each of us while it can be (and usually is) relative to others.

Will return to our discussion tomorrow. Have a great day!
:yuck: "absolute to each of us" is once again an oxymoron - it's a phrase like "deafening silence".

"absolute to each of us" contains within itself the explicit reference to an arbitrary standard (ie what is being measured is being measured relative to myself) - which is the antithesis of absolute.

Of course you may use language however you wish - I am just trying to point out the incongruity of your expression when viewed according to the normally accepted meanings of the words you choose.

<h2>1. What is the definition of "beauty"? </h2><p>Beauty is a subjective concept that refers to the quality or combination of qualities that give pleasure to the senses or the mind. It can include physical appearance, art, music, nature, and more.</p><h2>2. Is beauty the same for everyone?</h2><p>No, beauty is not the same for everyone. What one person finds beautiful may not be the same for another person. Beauty is subjective and can be influenced by personal preferences, cultural norms, and individual experiences.</p><h2>3. Can beauty be measured objectively?</h2><p>No, beauty cannot be measured objectively. It is a subjective concept and cannot be quantified or measured in a concrete way. However, there are some general standards of beauty that are widely accepted in certain cultures or societies.</p><h2>4. Is beauty influenced by societal standards?</h2><p>Yes, societal standards can play a role in what is considered beautiful. Society often sets certain beauty standards that can influence our perception of beauty. However, these standards can vary across cultures and change over time.</p><h2>5. Can beauty be studied scientifically?</h2><p>Yes, beauty can be studied scientifically. Researchers in fields such as psychology, neuroscience, and anthropology have conducted studies on the perception and experience of beauty. However, beauty is still a subjective concept and may not have a definitive scientific explanation.</p>

1. What is the definition of "beauty"?

Beauty is a subjective concept that refers to the quality or combination of qualities that give pleasure to the senses or the mind. It can include physical appearance, art, music, nature, and more.

2. Is beauty the same for everyone?

No, beauty is not the same for everyone. What one person finds beautiful may not be the same for another person. Beauty is subjective and can be influenced by personal preferences, cultural norms, and individual experiences.

3. Can beauty be measured objectively?

No, beauty cannot be measured objectively. It is a subjective concept and cannot be quantified or measured in a concrete way. However, there are some general standards of beauty that are widely accepted in certain cultures or societies.

4. Is beauty influenced by societal standards?

Yes, societal standards can play a role in what is considered beautiful. Society often sets certain beauty standards that can influence our perception of beauty. However, these standards can vary across cultures and change over time.

5. Can beauty be studied scientifically?

Yes, beauty can be studied scientifically. Researchers in fields such as psychology, neuroscience, and anthropology have conducted studies on the perception and experience of beauty. However, beauty is still a subjective concept and may not have a definitive scientific explanation.