Acceleration and rotating bodies.

In summary, when discussing rotating bodies, we cover radial, angular, and tangential accelerations. Linear acceleration is important because it changes the direction of the body's motion.
Niles

Homework Statement

Ok, when talking about rotating bodies, we deal with the following accelerations - please correct me if I am wrong:

A radial acceleration (a.k.a. the centripetal-acceleration): w^2*r or v^2/r.

An angular acceleration given by dw/dt.

A tangential acceleration given by r * a_angular

Where does linear acceleration come in? If we e.g. look at a uniform circular motion, it has a radial acc., no angular and then no tangential but it has a linear acceleration because it changes direction all the time?

I am quite confused about linear acceleration, and I can't seem to find it described anywhere.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, "The total linear acceleration is the vector sum of tangential plus centripetal accelerations".

So in the case above, the total linear acceleration is the centripetal-acceleration, since it is a uniform circular motion.

When a body moves along a space curve and v is the speed at a point, the total vector acceleration is (dv/dt)T + (v^2/r)N, where r is the radius of curvature at that point, T is the unit tangent vector and N is the unit vector along the principal normal. In 2-d motion, there is only one normal dirn to the curve. The linear accn you are talking about is dv/dt along the dirn of T, the unit tangent vector. If there is no change in speed, then that component is zero., and you are left with only centripetal accn along the normal.

What is the precise difference between angular and tangential acceleration?
Don't they both increase the speed of the body?

When the tangential acc. is zero, the linear acceleration = radial acceleration - but can we still have an angular acceleration at this point? I know that the unit for angular acc. is rad/s^2 and that it increases the angular velocity (omega) - the unit for tangential acc. is m/s^2, but what does this increase (tangential speed I guess, but what is that)?

Last edited:
If you mean centripetal acceleration, then it does not change the speed of the body, but the velocity, which means it changes the dirn of movement keeping the speed same.

Angular accn is the change of the angular velo of a body about a point. That may change the speed of the body. It is defined as alpha=dw/dt. It’s also equal to 1/r(dv/dt)=(tangential accn)/r, where r is the radius of curvature at that point.

I do mean the tangential acceleration - what does this do?

Is the tangential velocity given by r*omega?

The tangential accn changes the speed of the body.

(Velocity is always tangential.) If v is the vector velo of a point wrt an origin O, then v=w X r, where r is the posn vector of the particle. (X denotes cross product.)

!n 2d cicular motion, v=rw.

I don't understand how it is possible for an object to have a constant linear speed (angular velocity) and have an angular acceleration? Like a CD.

Shooting star said:
Angular accn is the change of the angular velo of a body about a point. That may change the speed of the body. It is defined as alpha=dw/dt. It’s also equal to 1/r(dv/dt)=(tangential accn)/r, where r is the radius of curvature at that point.

When linear speed is constant, angular accn is zero. Have you read carefully what I've written so far?

I got it - thanks :-)

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. Acceleration can be either positive (speeding up) or negative (slowing down).

2. How is acceleration related to rotating bodies?

In rotating bodies, acceleration is known as angular acceleration. It is the rate of change of angular velocity over time. Angular acceleration causes an object to change its rotational speed or direction.

3. How do you calculate acceleration in rotating bodies?

The formula for calculating angular acceleration is: angular acceleration (α) = change in angular velocity (Δω) / change in time (Δt). The units for angular acceleration are radians per second squared (rad/s²).

4. What is the difference between tangential acceleration and centripetal acceleration?

Tangential acceleration is the component of acceleration that is in the direction of the object's motion tangential to its circular path. Centripetal acceleration is the component of acceleration that is directed towards the center of the circular path. In other words, tangential acceleration affects the object's speed, while centripetal acceleration affects its direction.

5. Can rotating bodies have constant acceleration?

Yes, rotating bodies can have constant acceleration, just like linear motion. This means that the object's angular acceleration remains constant over time. However, the object's linear speed and direction may still be changing due to the rotation.