Does anyone here use the compiler for PIC processors from CCS?

• Thread starter Averagesupernova
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Compiler
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a compiler for PIC processors from CCS and the differences between the free demo version and the full development system. It also mentions the use of MPLAB and the need for a plug-in for a compiler. The speaker also shares their personal preference for the C18 C compiler from Microchip and the benefits it offers.
Averagesupernova
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Does anyone here use the compiler for PIC processors from CCS? I'm learning with the free demo of PCW. The programming language C is new to me but I think I'm getting the hang of it.
-
I also have PICkit 2 Debug Express from Microchip. That comes with MPLAB which allows debugging and single stepping, things of this nature, but only allows programming using assembly language unless you have a plug-in for a compiler.
-
As far as I can tell, PCW is a full development system. The editor seems very easy to use. I only have the software, I don't have any hardware or programmers for it. I would assume that it would be pointless to purchase the full version of PCWH for $500 when all I need is the PCH command line compiler with a plug-in for MPLAB for $200 because I already have PICkit 2 development system from Microchip. BUT, I would also think that the PCH software doesn't have as nice of an editor as PCW and for someone who is transitioning from using VisualBasic for instrument control to C (me) that may be a problem. Opinions are welcome. Hopefully someone else has been down this road.
-
More info at: www.microchip.com
www.ccsinfo.com/content.php?page=compilers

Oh yeah, one last thing. For those considering jumping into the world of PIC processors, the device that comes on a demo board with PICkit 2 Debug Express is an 16F887 which is NOT supported with the free demo compiler PCW from CCS. If you want to practice coding and play with the hardware, you would be wise to get a processor that is supported by the free compiler and wire it up on a proto board. The demo board from Microchip doesn't amount to much really. There is an LED, potentiometer and push button switch on it. There are pads there to solder other things to, but I would do it on a proto board.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi ASN,

I have a co-worker with a fair bit of experience with PICs, so I asked him to look over your question. Here is his response to me via e-mail:

Ted said:
My first experiences with using C on a PIC was with the CCS PCW compiler. CCS has done a fine job with their compilers and extended support functions for all the specialized I/O on a PIC.

I have no experience with the 'PICkit 2 Debug Express' he mentions in his post. But it looks like it is tailored for the CCS line of compilers (since Microchip doesn't make a 'PIC16F..." compiler). And while I purchased my PCW compiler, I see that the demo version has a 2K memory limit, does not support the PIC part that comes with the PICkit 2, and its license expires in 30 days. I don't know what 'expiration' means for CCS.

It looks as though this individual has the pieces figured out and is only looking for an 'opinion'. And as he mentions, even if he changes his target device to one that the demo compiler supports he'll still need a programmer that works with an IDE. It would appear he can either buy the CCS ICD unit to use with the PCW IDE, or the Microchip ICD2 unit to use with the MPLAB IDE (after installing the MPLAB plug-in). It would appear that the MPLAB IDE plug-in is free. The CCS ICD looks to be about half the price of the Microchip ICD2 and may seem be a better value but then you are tied to the PCW compiler's IDE and the license fee it represents when the demo expires.

======================

As an aside, I personally have come to prefer the C18 C compiler from Microchip. It comes with the free MPLAB IDE which is fully integrated upon installation. And although its demo (student) version also has a 60 day expiration date, it leaves all the most important features intact. This allows you to write high level C code out of the blocks and you never have to worry about dealing with assembler code or about your development system quitting on you because of expiration dates. It also has quite a lot of support documentation, example code, and drivers included. With this setup, all you have to buy is the ICD2 and a PIC18F... protoboard with an RJ-12 connector on it. The problem is that it only supports the PIC18F... parts but if all you are going to do is experiment, the PIC18F...'s are much more potent (more memory, etc) than the PICF16... parts).

Hope this helps!

I personally have not used the compiler for PIC processors from CCS, but I have heard good things about it from my colleagues who have used it. It seems like a comprehensive development system with an easy-to-use editor. I agree with your assessment that it may not be necessary to purchase the full version if you already have a PICkit 2 development system and only need the PCH command line compiler with a plug-in for MPLAB. However, if you are looking for a more user-friendly editor, it may be worth considering purchasing the full version. It's great that you have shared your experience and advice for those considering using PIC processors. Thank you for the information and links to Microchip and CCS's websites. Has anyone else had experience with this compiler and can provide additional insights?

1. What is a compiler for PIC processors?

A compiler for PIC processors is a software tool that converts source code written in a programming language into machine code that can be understood by the PIC microcontroller. It is an essential tool for programming and developing applications for PIC processors.

2. How does the CCS compiler differ from other PIC compilers?

The CCS compiler for PIC processors is specifically designed for Microchip's PIC microcontrollers. It offers a user-friendly interface and a wide range of features such as debugging tools and libraries that make it easier to program PIC processors. It also supports a variety of programming languages, making it a versatile option for developers.

3. Can the CCS compiler be used for all PIC processors?

Yes, the CCS compiler supports all PIC processors, including the popular PIC16, PIC18, and PIC24 families. It also supports the newer PIC32 family, making it a suitable choice for a wide range of applications and projects.

4. Is the CCS compiler free to use?

No, the CCS compiler is not free to use. It offers a free trial version, but to access all the features and capabilities, a license must be purchased. However, the cost is relatively low compared to other compilers, and it offers a comprehensive set of tools that can save time and effort in the long run.

5. Can the CCS compiler be used for both Windows and Mac operating systems?

Yes, the CCS compiler is available for both Windows and Mac operating systems. It also supports Linux, making it a versatile choice for developers using different platforms. It offers a consistent user experience across these platforms, making it easy to use for all users.