Measuring the moment of inertia

In summary, I measured the moment of inertia of a large wheel for rotation about an axis through its center. The wheel weighed 280 N and had a diameter of 0.740 m. I mounted the wheel, using frictionless bearings, on a horizontal axis through the wheel's center. I wrapped a light rope around the wheel and hung a 8.00 kg mass from the free end of the rope. I released the mass from rest; the mass descended and the wheel turned as the rope unwound. The moment of inertia of the wheel for an axis perpendicular to the wheel at its center was .622 kgm^2.
HclGuy

Homework Statement

You are asked to measure the moment of inertia of a large wheel for rotation about an axis through its center. You measure the diameter of the wheel to be 0.740 m and find that it weighs 280 N. You mount the wheel, using frictionless bearings, on a horizontal axis through the wheel's center. You wrap a light rope around the wheel and hang a 8.00 kg mass from the free end of the rope. You release the mass from rest; the mass descends and the wheel turns as the rope unwinds. You find that the mass has a speed 5.00 m/s after it has descended 2.00m. What is the moment of inertia of the wheel for an axis perpendicular to the wheel at its center?

Homework Equations

E initial = mgh
E final = 1/2mv^2 + 1/2[tex]I[/tex][tex]\omega^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using conservation of energy and then solving for [tex]I[/tex]
But I don't think that is the way to go.

Any help is appreciated, Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi HclGuy,

What did you get from using conservation of energy?

Hi HclGuy! :smile:
HclGuy said:
I tried using conservation of energy and then solving for [tex]I[/tex]
But I don't think that is the way to go.

Well it should work.

Show us your working, so that we can see what's going wrong. :smile:

So what I did was
mgh = 1/2mv^2 + 1/2[tex]I[/tex][tex]\omega^2[/tex]
Relate angular velocity back to linear velocity by using v = r * angular velocity
mgh = 1/2mv^2 +1/2[tex]I[/tex](v/r)^2
mgh - 1/2mv^2 = 1/2[tex]I[/tex](v/r)^2
2mgh - mv^2 = [tex]I[/tex](v/r)^2
[tex]I[/tex] = (2mgh - mv^2)(r/v)^2
m is 8.00 kg
h is distance the mass traveled = 2.00m
r= radius of wheel = 0.0370m
I get a really small number.. for my answer.. so that leads me to believe it is incorrect.

The radius of the wheel is 0.37 m, not 0.037 m. This would make the answer you're getting 100 times smaller than the real answer. Once you correct that, is the answer more reasonable?

Well , I ended up with .622 kgm^2, still not sure if that is right but it seems more reasonable..

1. What is the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is often compared to mass in linear motion, as it represents an object's "rotational mass".

2. How is the moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. It also takes into account the object's shape and distribution of mass.

3. Why is measuring the moment of inertia important?

Measuring the moment of inertia is important in understanding an object's rotational motion. It can be used to predict how an object will behave when subjected to angular acceleration or deceleration, and is essential in designing machines and structures that involve rotational motion.

4. How is the moment of inertia affected by the shape of an object?

The moment of inertia is greatly affected by the shape of an object. Objects with more mass distributed farther from the axis of rotation will have a higher moment of inertia, while objects with more mass concentrated closer to the axis of rotation will have a lower moment of inertia.

5. What are some common units of measurement for moment of inertia?

The SI unit for moment of inertia is kilogram-meter squared (kg•m²). However, it can also be measured in other units such as pound-foot squared (lb•ft²) or gram-centimeter squared (g•cm²).