Find Contact Force Between Two Blocks: M1=1.75kg, M2-3.38kg, F=6.10N

In summary, the contact force between the two blocks can be found by distributing the applied force of 6.10N between the two blocks in a way that they will accelerate at the same rate. This can be achieved by considering the blocks as one combined mass and using the equation F=ma to determine the force applied to the second block, which will be the contact force between the two blocks.
shimizua
Problem
two blocks are in contact on a frictionless table. a horizontal force F is applied to M2. if M1=1.75kg, M2-3.38kg, and F=6.10N, find the size of the contact force between the two blocks.

So i am just not sure how to find contact force cause my teacher never taught it to us. thanks. if you can just give the equation that is good enough, i don't expect you to do the problem for me, just help would be cool

Physics news on Phys.org
The blocks are connected, so they must accelerate at the same rate. How fast does a block with mass M1+M2 accelerate from a force F? Now, imagine that the blocks are seperated, and you want to accelerate them to that same rate. How will you distribute the 6.10 N between the blocks?

wait i still don't get it

Sorry, I should have defined contact force. Basically, when you push the two blocks when they are touching, the resulting acceleration will be the same as if you were pushing a block of the combined mass of the two blocks. So, the acceleration for a block of 5.13 kg will be the same as the acceleration for the system of 1.75 kg and 3.38 kg blocks.

Here is what will happen when you push on the first block with a force of 6.10N. It will try to accelerate but run into the second block. In order to accelerate, the first block will need to push the second block to the same rate of acceleration. Therefore, there will be some force between the first block and the second block. This is the contact force. Keep in mind that any force the first block "uses" to push the second block will no longer be affected the first block, because the second block will be pushing back on the first block (Newton's third law), canceling out that force on the first block. You can think of the first block as "transferring" force you are using to push it to the second block.

So, an equivalent problem to this would be this: How can you distribute 6.10 N of force between two blocks of masses 1.75 kg and 3.38 kg such that they will accelerate at the same rate? The force that you apply to the 3.38 kg block would be the contact force, and your answer for this problem. I'll leave it to you to figure out why this would be an equivalent problem.

1. What is the formula for calculating contact force between two blocks?

The formula for calculating contact force between two blocks is F = μN, where F is the contact force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force.

2. How do you determine the coefficient of friction between two blocks?

The coefficient of friction can be determined through an experiment where the force required to move the blocks is divided by the normal force between the blocks.

3. What are the units for contact force?

The units for contact force are typically measured in Newtons (N).

4. How does the mass of the blocks affect the contact force?

The contact force between two blocks is directly proportional to the mass of the blocks. As the mass increases, so does the contact force.

5. Can the contact force ever be greater than the force applied?

No, the contact force can never be greater than the force applied. The maximum contact force is equal to the force applied, and this occurs when the coefficient of friction is equal to 1.