How dangerous is matter/antimatter collisions?

• Thread starter 39ster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collisions
In summary, gamma rays can be dangerous to life depending on the dose, and the amount of energy released during a small campfire can also be harmful if concentrated in a short amount of time. However, the odds of significant damage from just two photons are small. It's important to consider the dose and not just the presence of gamma rays.
39ster
If i had enough matter and antimatter to release same amount of energy as a small camp fire, would the gamma rays be dangerous?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are any gamma rays NOT dangerous...I assume you mean to life.

Naty1 said:
Are any gamma rays NOT dangerous...I assume you mean to life.

It's all a matter of dose, really.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dosimetry

"All things are poison and nothing is without poison, only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."--Paracelsus

If you collided a single electron and positron you would only get a pair of gamma photons, the odds of doing much damage with just 2 photons are pretty small.

If the safe dose of gamma is around 10mSv (that is absorbed 10mJ/kg of body weight) and you weigh 100kg (it's worth hitting the burgers to make the maths easier) then you can absorb about 1kJ of gamma rays - that is the energy output of small campfire (say 1kw) in 1 second.

On the other hand the same energy released during the during the course of the campfire squeezed in a few milliseconds tells me I want to stand at a safe distance. The gamma photons would be the least of my worries. Damage would be comparable to more than a few sticks of dynamite.

1. What is matter/antimatter collision and why is it dangerous?

Matter/antimatter collision is when particles of matter and antimatter come into contact and annihilate each other, releasing a large amount of energy in the form of gamma rays. This process is dangerous because it can cause massive explosions and destruction.

2. How much energy is released in a matter/antimatter collision?

The amount of energy released in a matter/antimatter collision is equivalent to the mass of the particles multiplied by the speed of light squared (E=mc²). This means that even a small amount of matter and antimatter can produce a large explosion.

3. Can we control matter/antimatter collisions?

As of now, we do not have the technology to control matter/antimatter collisions. The particles have to be carefully contained and isolated from each other, which is a difficult task. However, scientists are researching ways to potentially harness the energy from these collisions in a controlled manner.

4. Are there any real-life examples of matter/antimatter collisions?

Yes, matter/antimatter collisions occur naturally in the form of cosmic rays colliding with particles in Earth's atmosphere. These collisions produce high-energy gamma rays that can be detected by scientific instruments.

5. How close are we to creating a matter/antimatter bomb?

Currently, we do not have the technology to create a matter/antimatter bomb. The process of creating and containing antimatter is extremely difficult and expensive. Additionally, the amount of antimatter needed to create a powerful explosion would be incredibly large and difficult to produce.