Question regarding wind loading and shielding effects on a structure.

In summary, the person is struggling to find information on the effects of shielding on wind loading for an unsymmetrical structure made up of circular and Universal beams. They are specifically interested in how the distance between beams affects shielding on the downwind beam and any further downwind beams. They have been unable to find any helpful information after months of searching and are seeking assistance. The conversation also mentions the use of wind pressure on different faces of a structure, with varying levels of shielding and shape factors to consider.
dylan99
I have come unstuck in my coursework project, and cannot find any information/equations for the effects of shielding on wind loading in a structure (This is not an ordinary structure, it is an unsymmetrical sculpture made up of circular and Universal beams).
So i would firstly like to find how the distance between beams affects the wind loading (the shielding) in the downwind beam - and any further downwind beams-. I need this for circular and non- circular sections.
Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated, as there has been many months of fruitless searching.
Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
dylan99 said:
I have come unstuck in my coursework project, and cannot find any information/equations for the effects of shielding on wind loading in a structure (This is not an ordinary structure, it is an unsymmetrical sculpture made up of circular and Universal beams).
So i would firstly like to find how the distance between beams affects the wind loading (the shielding) in the downwind beam - and any further downwind beams-. I need this for circular and non- circular sections.
Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated, as there has been many months of fruitless searching.
Many thanks.
I don't know about specific Code guidelines , but I have always in practice not counted on any shielding on the downwind or leeward part of a framed, open structure. For example, if designing say a tall lattice tower for a hurricane load, I take the wind pressure to act on the projected area of one face of the tower, and double it, which is more or less equal to applying the full wind pressure to the projected area of both faces. I believe certain guidelines may allow you to use full wind on the unshielded face, and 1/2 the wind pressure on the other, but the effects of shielding are questionable, especially in your case wher there is not much symmetry, so why fool with it and ignore any shielding reductions. Don't forget the shape factor; on a cylindrical surface, it is 1.0, but on a flat surface, it is 1.6 ; for a hexagonal or octagonal shape or the like, I use 1.3. Thus if the hurricane wind is 25 psf on a round surface, it is 40 psf on a flat surface, and I apply it to all faces normal to the wind, without considering shielding.

Hello,

Wind loading and shielding effects on structures can be a complex topic, especially for non-ordinary structures like an unsymmetrical sculpture made up of circular and Universal beams. I understand that you have been struggling to find information and equations for the effects of shielding on wind loading in your coursework project.

Firstly, it is important to understand that the distance between beams can have a significant impact on the wind loading and shielding effects on a structure. This is because the spacing between beams can affect the flow of wind around and through the structure, creating areas of high and low pressure.

In general, the closer the beams are to each other, the more shielding effect they will have on each other. This is because they create a barrier that blocks the wind from directly hitting the structure. On the other hand, if the beams are further apart, they may not have as much of a shielding effect and the wind can flow more freely through the structure.

To specifically determine how the distance between beams affects the wind loading and shielding, you will need to consider the shape and size of the beams, as well as the wind speed and direction. This can be calculated using wind tunnel testing or computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations.

Additionally, the shape of the beams, whether circular or non-circular, can also impact the wind loading and shielding effects. Circular sections tend to have a more streamlined shape, which can reduce the drag and pressure exerted by the wind. Non-circular sections, on the other hand, may have more complex flow patterns and may require more advanced analysis methods.

In terms of finding specific equations for the effects of shielding on wind loading, I would recommend consulting with a structural engineering textbook or reaching out to a structural engineering expert for assistance. They may be able to provide you with more specific equations or guidance on how to approach your project.

I hope this information helps you in your coursework project. Best of luck!

1. How does wind loading affect a structure?

Wind loading refers to the force that wind exerts on a structure. This force can cause structural damage or failure if not properly accounted for in the design and construction of the building. The magnitude of wind loading depends on factors such as wind speed, direction, and the shape and orientation of the structure.

2. What is the role of shielding in wind loading?

Shielding refers to the effect of nearby structures or terrain on the wind flow around a building. This can either increase or decrease the wind loading on a structure, depending on the direction and strength of the wind. For example, a tall building located upwind of another building can create a wind tunnel effect, increasing the wind loading on the downwind building.

3. How is wind loading calculated for a structure?

Wind loading is typically calculated using mathematical models and data from wind tunnel tests. These models take into account factors such as wind speed, direction, and turbulence to determine the expected wind loading on a structure. Structural engineers use this information to design buildings that can withstand the expected wind forces.

4. Can wind loading be mitigated?

Yes, wind loading can be mitigated through various design strategies, such as shaping the building to reduce wind resistance, using materials that can withstand high wind forces, and incorporating structural elements like bracing and cross-ties. Wind barriers, such as trees or other buildings, can also help to reduce wind loading on a structure.

5. What are the potential risks of not considering wind loading in structural design?

The potential risks of not considering wind loading in structural design include structural damage or failure, which can put occupants' safety at risk. In extreme cases, failure to properly account for wind loading can lead to catastrophic collapse of the building. It can also result in costly repairs and reconstruction, as well as legal implications for the building owner or designer.