Is only one Calculus book (Stewart, etc.) used for Calculus 1,2,3?

In summary, Stewart's Calculus book comes in two volumes, one for single variable calculus (Calc I & II) and one for multivariable calculus (Calc III). The second volume is overpriced and includes unnecessary material. Both volumes are geared towards non-mathematicians and are suitable for students in engineering, biology, and commerce.
DrummingAtom
Just looking to purchase a Calculus book and curious how many books are used from Calculus 1,2,3. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
For Stewart,there are 2 books, one for single variable(calc i & II) and the other for multivariable(calc III). The second one is a kind of a rip off as it has the last two chapter from the first in it and is very much shorter yet is still over $100!

Stewart's book, and his competitor's, are generally over-priced. They have a lot of un-necessary crap: cd's, secret codes for a website, too too many applications, laughable 'explanations'. The book is about 200/300 pages to long, and $40-$50 too expensive.

It does have many questions, and it is suitable for people who are not so strong in mathematics, and for engineers, bio students, commerec students etc., not mathematicians and physicists.

1. Is the same Calculus book used for all three levels of Calculus?

It depends on the institution and the professor's preference. Some professors may choose to use the same book for all three levels, while others may use different books for each level.

2. Can I use a different Calculus book for a specific level?

Again, this depends on the professor's preference. Some may allow you to use a different book as long as it covers the same topics and concepts as the required book.

3. Will using a different Calculus book affect my understanding of the material?

Not necessarily. As long as the alternative book covers the same topics and concepts, it should not significantly impact your understanding. However, it is always best to check with your professor to ensure that the alternative book is suitable for the course.

4. Can I use an older edition of the required Calculus book?

This depends on the changes between editions. If the newer edition has significant updates or revisions, it may be best to use the required edition. However, if there are minimal changes, an older edition may still be useful.

5. Can I purchase an e-book version of the required Calculus book?

Once again, this depends on the professor's preference. Some may allow the use of e-books, while others may require a physical copy of the book. It is best to check with your professor before purchasing an e-book version.