Potential Energy and Kinetic Energy Question

In summary, a bird flying at a speed of 17.4 m/s accidentally drops a 2.20 kg fish while flying over water. Disregarding air resistance and with the bird at an altitude of 7.70 m, the speed of the fish when it hits the water can be found by using the equations for potential energy and kinetic energy. By adding the initial kinetic energy of the fish and the potential energy gained during the fall, the final kinetic energy can be calculated using the equation KE=1/2mv^2.
gansta344u

Homework Statement

A bird is flying with a speed of 17.4 m/s over
water when it accidentally drops a 2.20 kg
fish.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.81 m/s2 .
If the altitude of the bird is 7.70 m and air
resistance is disregarded, what is the speed of
the fish when it hits the water? Answer in
units of m/s.

Homework Equations

i tried to do potential energy equation PEg=mgh and then since it is converted to KE i re- arange the equation KE=1/2mv^2 and i tried it and it was wrong

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b

Physics news on Phys.org
gansta344u said:

Homework Equations

i tried to do potential energy equation PEg=mgh and then since it is converted to KE i re- arange the equation KE=1/2mv^2 and i tried it and it was wrong
The change in PE will tell you the change in KE. Don't forget that the fish already had KE when it was released.

so i have to add the KE of bird and PE of the fish
then use the KE=1/2MV^2

gansta344u said:
so i have to add the KE of bird and PE of the fish
then use the KE=1/2MV^2
Add the initial KE of the fish. (How fast is the fish moving when it's released?)

thanks a lot,i got it rite this time

What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or state. It is stored energy that has the potential to do work.

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion. It is the energy an object possesses when it is in motion.

What is the relationship between potential energy and kinetic energy?

Potential energy and kinetic energy are two forms of energy that are interrelated. Potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy, and vice versa.

How can potential energy be converted into kinetic energy?

Potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy through the process of an object moving due to the force of gravity or another external force acting upon it.

What are some examples of potential and kinetic energy?

Examples of potential energy include a stretched rubber band, a raised object, and a compressed spring. Examples of kinetic energy include a moving car, a rolling ball, and a swinging pendulum.