Need Help Understanding Concepts of Centripetal Force.

Because I read that it is fictitious since its based on inertia which doesn't exactly make it a force but just following Newtons laws.Centrifugal force is an apparent force that appears in a rotating frame of reference. It is not a real force like gravity or electromagnetism, but rather an effect of inertia in a rotating system. It can be thought of as the tendency of objects in a rotating system to move away from the center of rotation. The centrifugal force is not a separate force, but rather a result of the centripetal force that keeps objects moving in a circle.
ha9981
Now as I understand, a force must be present to cause centripetal acceleration. So as a car goes around a circular arc it is friction between the tires which causes centripetal acceleration. So since the car is turning around the curve the friction will be perpendicular to the instantaneous velocity and therefore towards the center of the arc.

So with this I am guessing Ff must be equal to mv2/r or any other form of the centripetal force eqn. But as I see it friction force and centripetal force are the same in this situation and it is directed to the center, now I ask what is holding the car in its path. To me it seems its friction, but isn't friction causing centripetal force. So what is the force in the opposite direction? I know it has to be equal in magnitude. I was thinking centrifugal but not to sure how it works. From what i remember that centrifugal originates from inertia, so if there was no centripetal force able to be exerted the object in uniform circular motion will go off on a tangent.

Then I read this: "Caution: In doing problems with uniform circular motion, you may be tempted to include an extra outward force of magnitude mv2/r to keep the body "out there" or to "keep it in equilibrium". This outward force is called the centrifugal force (fleeing from the center). Resist this temptation, because this approach is simply wrong. In an inertial frame of reference there is no such thing as centrifugal force."

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need anything to "hold the car in its path". You do need a net force to change the path--to make it go in a circle. In your example, that net force is provided by friction.

I am not to sure what you are saying.

I know there is a centripetal force, and because of that there must be another force or the car will go into the center of the circle, or am i seeing this all wrong?

ha9981 said:
I know there is a centripetal force, and because of that there must be another force or the car will go into the center of the circle, or am i seeing this all wrong?
You are seeing it wrong, but it's a bit tricky. The acceleration is toward the center, not the velocity.

A force doesn't necessarily make something move in the direction of the force. What it does is provide an acceleration (a change of velocity) in the direction of the force. If the acceleration is perpendicular to the object's direction of motion, the force just makes it turn sideways in a circle, not move toward the center of the circle.

Also: If there were another force acting opposite to the centripetal force, canceling it out, then the net force on the object would be zero. It would just keep moving in a straight line--not around in a circle.

Welcome to PF!

Hi ha9981! Welcome to PF! :smile:
ha9981 said:

The centripetal force is the friction force.

Because of that force, the car does go into the centre …

only its tangential velocity prevents it from "falling in".

This is what good ol' Newton discovered about gravity …

if you throw an apple horizontally, it falls … if you throw it hard enough, it still falls at the same rate, but it goes so fast sideways that it stays the same distance from the centre of the Earth … in other words it goes into (very-near-Earth!) orbit. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
The centripetal force is the friction force.

Because of that force, the car does go into the centre …

only its tangential velocity prevents it from "falling in".

When you refer to "tangential velocity" is this basically inertia? The inertia the car is feeling because of tangential velocity at each point in the curve keeps it from falling in?

Is this like :
Doc Al said:
What keeps the bucket and water "up" is their inertia. They are being swung in a circle.

Also is the inertia based force centrifugal force? Because I read that it is fictitious since its based on inertia which doesn't exactly make it a force but just following Newtons laws.

ha9981 said:
Also is the inertia based force centrifugal force? Because I read that it is fictitious since its based on inertia which doesn't exactly make it a force but just following Newtons laws.
If you wish to view things from the rotating frame of reference, you would add a centrifugal force (not a "real" force, just an artifact of using an accelerating frame of reference) in order to apply Newton's laws.

But I recommend that you try to understand things from the usual inertial frame of reference and don't rely on the "crutch" of the centrifugal force. (At least until you get to more advanced courses, where you'll need to use rotating frames.)

ha9981 said:
When you refer to "tangential velocity" is this basically inertia?

Yeah, basically … Newton's first law means it wants to keep going in a straight line.
Also is the inertia based force centrifugal force?

There's no "inertia based forces" … inertia is inertia, and force is force, and they're more-or-less opposites.

(there are so-called "inertial forces", also called "fictitious forces", but that only means forces whose strength doesn't depend on charge or velocity but only on mass, which is another word for inertia)

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is a force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, directing it towards the center of the circle.

2. How is centripetal force calculated?

The formula for calculating centripetal force is F = (mv^2)/r, where m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. What are some examples of centripetal force?

Common examples of centripetal force include the force that keeps planets in orbit around the sun, the force that keeps satellites in orbit around Earth, and the force that keeps a car on a curved track.

4. How does centripetal force differ from centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the inward force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, while centrifugal force is the outward force that appears to act on an object moving in a circular path, but is actually just an apparent force caused by the object's inertia.

5. How is centripetal force related to Newton's laws of motion?

Centripetal force is related to Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia. This law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. In the case of centripetal force, the object's natural tendency to continue moving in a straight line is overcome by the centripetal force that keeps it moving in a circular path.