(True/False) Basic Probability Theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of events X, Y, and Z, which are defined as having a certain number of heads obtained in a series of coin tosses. The statement P(Z)=P(X+Y) is shown to be false, but the speaker argues that it should be true based on the rule that the probability of the union of two events is equal to the sum of their individual probabilities. However, it is clarified that this rule only applies in certain circumstances, such as when the events are distinct and do not overlap.
rela
Dear all,

I have a question.

Suppose we have 3 events X,Y,Z defined as having 200 heads, 400 heads & 600 heads obtained in tossing a fair coin for 800 times.

Then, P(Z)=P(X+Y)=P(600)=P(200+400)=P(X)+P(Y)=P(200)+P(400)

The answer is false but I view it otherwise. My argument is based on the idea of the union of 2 events -> P(X U Y) =P(X) + P(Y). Following this line of reasoning, why is the above statement not considered true?

Please kindly elaborate and direct me to the right understanding level.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Rela

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Rela! :smile:

P(Z) is the probability of exactly 600 heads …

in full, P(Z) = P({600 heads and 200 tails}) …

so is the statement P({600 heads and 200 tails}) = P({400 heads and 400 tails} U {200 heads and 600 tails}) true or false or meaningless? :wink:

Hi Tim,

Many thanks for your prompt revert.

Hmmm...It looks kinda meaningless to me. But I'm just perturbed by the fact that there exists such a rule in which the probability of the union of 2 statistically events A & B is the the sum of their individual probabilities (i.e P(AUB)=P(A)+P(B).

I just feel that I could apply this rule to the problem statement defined earlier since it makes sense mathematically.

Are you able to elaborate more on the circumstance in which I could apply the above rule correctly then?

Regards
Rela

Hi Rela! :smile:
rela said:
Hmmm...It looks kinda meaningless to me.

Yes, that's right … it's meaningless! :biggrin:
But I'm just perturbed by the fact that there exists such a rule in which the probability of the union of 2 statistically events A & B is the the sum of their individual probabilities (i.e P(AUB)=P(A)+P(B).

The probability of the union of 2 distinct (non-overlappping) events A & B is the the sum of their individual probabilities.

(and the probability of the intersection of 2 independent events A & B is the the product of their individual probabilities :wink:)
I just feel that I could apply this rule to the problem statement defined earlier since it makes sense mathematically.

Are you able to elaborate more on the circumstance in which I could apply the above rule correctly then?

yes … you could use the rule if X is exactly 200 heads, Y is exactly 400 heads, and Z is exactly either 200 or 400 heads. :smile:

(because X and Y are distinct … ie, they don't overlap … and Z is their union)

1. Is basic probability theory the same as statistics?

No, basic probability theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with calculating the likelihood of events occurring. Statistics, on the other hand, uses probability theory to analyze data and make predictions about real-world phenomena.

2. Are all probabilities in basic probability theory expressed as fractions or percentages?

No, probabilities can be expressed in a variety of ways, including fractions, decimals, and percentages. It ultimately depends on the specific problem and what is most appropriate for the situation.

3. Is basic probability theory only used in gambling or games?

No, basic probability theory has applications in a wide range of fields, including science, economics, and engineering. It can be used to make predictions and decisions based on uncertain or random events.

4. Can basic probability theory be used to predict the future?

No, basic probability theory can help calculate the likelihood of certain events occurring, but it cannot predict the future with certainty. It is important to keep in mind that probability is based on chance, not certainty.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong background in mathematics to understand basic probability theory?

While a basic understanding of mathematical concepts is helpful, it is not necessary to have a strong background in mathematics to understand basic probability theory. Many introductory probability courses do not require advanced math skills and focus on conceptual understanding rather than complex calculations.