Ratio kinetic energy of alpha particle / kinetic energy of proton

In summary, the problem involves finding the ratio of kinetic energy between an alpha particle and a proton after both are accelerated from rest through the same potential difference. The equation eV = (1/2)mv^2 is used, and the mass of the alpha particle is approximately four times that of the proton. The answer is not simply 4, as there is also a factor of velocity to consider. The alpha particle has twice the charge of a proton, which affects the velocity and ultimately the kinetic energy ratio.
385sk117

Homework Statement

A photon and alpha particle are accelerated from rest through the same potential difference.
After acceleration what is the ratio kinetic energy of alpha particle / kinetic energy of proton?

Homework Equations

I guess I have to use eV = 1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what value have to be used in place of e in equation eV = 1/2mv^2
the mass of alpha particle is approximately 4 times of photon and that's all i know
I guessed the answer as 4 but the answer was 2
I think there is something to do with the velocity of alpha particle and photon but I'm stucked can not think of anything..

Physics news on Phys.org
An alfa particle has two protons, so that's twice the charge of one proton.

Thanks a lot! So i didnt have to know the exact charges but the ratio

1. What is the ratio of kinetic energy between an alpha particle and a proton?

The ratio of kinetic energy between an alpha particle and a proton is approximately 4:1. This means that the alpha particle has four times more kinetic energy than the proton.

2. How does the mass of the particles affect the ratio of kinetic energy?

The mass of the particles does not directly affect the ratio of kinetic energy. However, since the alpha particle has a mass that is approximately four times greater than the proton, it will have four times more kinetic energy.

3. Is the ratio of kinetic energy constant for all energies?

No, the ratio of kinetic energy between an alpha particle and a proton is not constant for all energies. It varies depending on the specific energy of the particles and the conditions under which they are interacting.

4. How does the ratio of kinetic energy affect particle interactions?

The ratio of kinetic energy between an alpha particle and a proton can greatly affect their interactions. In general, the higher the kinetic energy of a particle, the more energetic its interactions will be. This can result in different outcomes, such as scattering or nuclear reactions.

5. Can the ratio of kinetic energy be altered or manipulated?

Yes, the ratio of kinetic energy between an alpha particle and a proton can be altered or manipulated through external forces such as electric or magnetic fields. These forces can change the trajectory and energy of the particles, ultimately affecting their ratio of kinetic energy.