Acceleration Due To Gravity: Why Is It the Same for All Bodies?

In summary: Not really, because the force required to push an object faster than the speed of gravity is greater than the force of gravity itself.
AUMathTutor said:
I don't know about you guys, but I can certainly tell the difference between being at a relatively low acceleration and being in free fall.
Did someone imply that you could not tell the difference? I must have missed that. Can you provide quotes.

Physics news on Phys.org
AUMathTutor said:
The equal acceleration of objects falling near Earth's surface is an approximation.

Perhaps the assertion that 'g' is constant is an approximation (very good for every day life), but I don't think the fact that all objects fall with equal acceleration is (even if this number is not g). The fact is, gravitational force is directly proportional to mass, and so is acceleration, so they will always cancel each other out. There is no approximation in that.

Even if my bowling ball and feather are 100km above the Earth's surface, they will experience equal accelerations (no air resistance, of course).

TurtleMeister said:
I'm not sure, but I think one of the things that coverme is trying to convey is the fact that gravity accelerates all particles equally at the same time. If you're accelerating or free-falling due to gravity, you do not feel it because gravity accelerates all particles of your body equally, even the tiniest (disregarding tidal forces). So there are no pressure points for you to feel. If you are accelerated by say a rocket ship then you feel the pressure because it is applied to your feet and it is transferred through your body. But I strongly disagree with coverme's concept of gravity as having a special case in Newtons laws of motion. This is flat wrong, as DHs post demonstrates.

your feet attached to spacecraft ,you may feel pressure point at your feet but do you feel you are devoted to gravity there that you judge the direction as in you are in earth.

ZapperZ said:
The rigidity of your "theory" has nothing to do with its validity. You are welcome to believe in false and faulty understanding. But it is against our https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374" to perpetuate those false ideas on here, and nothing you have said here has contradicted either the gravitational laws or the Newton's laws.

Zz.

I know its a way of understanding and no one is perfect.Even the Newton an eeinstein while formulating their laws may have a lot of confusion in themselves,but they try to gave approximation
Some thing we have to generate from ourselves also then how can science progress.

Last edited by a moderator:
coverme said:
I know its a way of understanding and no one is perfect.Even the Newton an eeinstein while formulating their laws may have a lot of confusion in themselves,but they try to gave approximation
Some thing we have to generate from ourselves also then how can science progress.

But what does what you have done here have anything to do with progress? Progress can't be made when it's based on ignorance. And your comment about Einstein and Newton is nothing more than an amusing noise.

I think this thread has outlived its purpose. We are not obliged to correct your misunderstanding if you're not willing to learn.

Zz.