Smallest number to get a perfect square

• Thread starter Vals509
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Square
In summary, to find the smallest number that can be added to 2008 to get a perfect square, we can first determine that the square root of 2008 is approximately 44.811, which rounded up to the next whole number is 45. This means that the perfect square we are looking for is 45^2, or 2025. To find the number that needs to be added to 2008, we can simply subtract 2008 from 2025, giving us the answer of 17. Therefore, the smallest number that can be added to 2008 to get a perfect square is 17.
Vals509

Homework Statement

What is the smallest number than can be added to 2008 to get a perfect square?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to factorise the number into its factors which in this case were 2*2*2*251. Then i saw that we needed another 2 and 251 to make the number a perfect square. But the number 502 has to multiplied to 2008 and not added to it, and also there are many more square numbers between 2008 and 2008*502

Please help!
P.S. I would like the method too of obtaining the answer, in case you forget.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could go with trial and error :wink: Add 1, see if that gets you a perfect square, if not add 2, see if that gets you a perfect square, etc. Although I'm sure you would figure out a shortcut before long.

Hint: you know that there are many square numbers between 2008 and 2008*502. Have you tried to figure out what the smallest of these is?

If i am reading the problem correctly, the square root of 2008 + some number should equal a whole number. The square root of 2008 is 44.811. The next whole number would be 45. The square root of what number when added to 2008 give you 45?

I'm not sure about this, in fact I had to google to find out what is meant by perfect square.
I think a perfect square can be expressed by X squared =A.
With your example X squared =2008+the number you wish to find
the root of 2008 is about 44.8 so round this up to the next nearest whole number and this gives X squared =49 squared=2401.The number,therefore=2401-2008=393

Aren't we not supposed to give answers, as it's a homework question? :wink: (although 393 is not actually the right answer)

diazona said:
Aren't we not supposed to give answers, as it's a homework question? :wink: (although 393 is not actually the right answer)

Thanks diazona.Well, what a dopey dollop I am making 44+1 equal to 49:eek:
And I think you are probably right about it not being appropriate for this question to give an actual answer,albeit wrong.Sorry moderators ,genuine oversight.

Last edited:
I don't know if this is quite the answer you were looking for, but what about adding negative 2008 so that you would arrive at 0?

Missionz12 said:
I don't know if this is quite the answer you were looking for, but what about adding negative 2008 so that you would arrive at 0?

lol that is if you consider "smallest number" to mean the largest negative :tongue:

All that is left is: [tex]45^2=2008+x [/tex] hence, [tex]x=45^2-2008[/tex]

Can you take it from here? :wink:

1. What is the smallest number to get a perfect square?

The smallest number to get a perfect square is 1. Any number multiplied by 1 will result in the same number, making it a perfect square.

2. How do you find the smallest number to get a perfect square?

To find the smallest number to get a perfect square, you can start by finding the square root of the desired perfect square. Then, round up the square root to the nearest whole number and square it to get the smallest number.

3. Is 0 the smallest number to get a perfect square?

No, 0 is not the smallest number to get a perfect square. Any number multiplied by 0 will result in 0, not a perfect square. The smallest number to get a perfect square is 1.

4. Can negative numbers be used to get a perfect square?

Yes, negative numbers can be used to get a perfect square. However, the smallest number to get a perfect square will always be a positive number. For example, the smallest number to get a perfect square of -4 would be 2.

5. Are there multiple smallest numbers to get a perfect square?

No, there is only one smallest number to get a perfect square. This is because every number has a unique square root, and rounding up the square root will result in only one smallest number.