Analog Signal Loop/Switch Control?

In summary, the user is seeking assistance in designing a custom project involving 16 analog sensor/signal loops with 2 main signal inputs and 2 signal outputs. The goal is to be able to combine any of the loops in any configuration and designate a channel for each loop, while also addressing noise concerns. The user has considered using FPGA chips and PIC chips, but is unsure if they are necessary. They have also attempted to build a similar device using relays, but have been unable to move the placement of the loops in the chain. They are open to using USB or Comm port control as well. The user is self-educated in EE and design and is seeking ideas from the community."
jb1
Analog Signal Loop/Switch Control?

Hello fine people of this board. I have been working on a custom project here for a year or two and I'm stumped at this point. I am working with 16 analog sensor/signal loops (16 ins and 16 outs). There would be 2 main signal inputs, and 2 signal outputs also...

I need to be able to combine any of the 16 loops (say loop 2 and 6 only, or 4 and 5 only) in any configuration, before or after each other (say loop 6 then into 2, or loop 2 then into 6). Also, I need to be able to designate a channel to each loop (say loop 2 to 6 then out on chan1, and also loop 4 to 7 then out on chan2). Noise is an issue as well, it will be used for a custom monitoring/radio data system. I have been looking into FPGA chips as well as PIC chips but not really sure if I need all that. Does anyone here have any thoughts?

I would really like to have this done with discreet components but it seems a bit much for that. I have been able to build a device like this using relays. But, could never come up with a way to move the placement of the loops in the chain. USB or Comm port control would be an added bonus. Thanks to anyone with any ideas! Sorry if I left something out or am going about this the wrong way. I'm completely self educated when it comes to EE and design...

Engineering news on Phys.org

I can see that you have a complex and challenging project on your hands. It sounds like you are looking for a way to control and manipulate multiple analog signal loops, with the ability to combine and switch between them in various configurations. You also mention the need for noise reduction and the possibility of using FPGA or PIC chips for this project.

Firstly, I would recommend looking into digital signal processing (DSP) techniques, as they can provide a more efficient and flexible solution for manipulating analog signals. DSP chips are specifically designed for this purpose and can handle multiple inputs and outputs, as well as noise reduction. They also have the ability to be programmed and controlled through USB or Comm port, which would fulfill your added bonus requirement.

Another option to consider is using a microcontroller with ADC (analog-to-digital converter) and DAC (digital-to-analog converter) capabilities. This would allow you to convert your analog signals into digital data, manipulate them, and then convert them back to analog signals. With the right programming, you can achieve the desired combinations and configurations of your signal loops.

In terms of noise reduction, you may want to look into using filters or amplifiers specifically designed for this purpose. Additionally, proper grounding and shielding techniques can also help reduce noise in your system.

In summary, I would recommend exploring DSP chips and microcontrollers with ADC and DAC capabilities for your project. These technologies will provide the flexibility and control you need for your analog signal loop/switch control system. Good luck with your project!

1. What is an analog signal loop/switch control?

An analog signal loop/switch control is a type of control system that allows for the manipulation and regulation of analog signals. This can involve the use of physical switches or loops to control the flow of the signal, or it can be achieved through electronic means.

2. How does analog signal loop/switch control differ from digital control?

The main difference between analog and digital control is the type of signal being manipulated. Analog signals are continuous and can take on any value within a certain range, while digital signals are discrete and can only take on specific values. Analog signal loop/switch control deals with manipulating continuous signals, while digital control deals with discrete signals.

3. What are the advantages of using analog signal loop/switch control?

One advantage of analog signal loop/switch control is its simplicity and reliability. Since it involves physical components, it is less prone to malfunctions and can continue operating even in the event of a power outage. Additionally, it can handle a wide range of signals and can be easily integrated with other systems.

4. What are some common applications of analog signal loop/switch control?

Analog signal loop/switch control is commonly used in industries such as manufacturing, transportation, and energy. It can also be found in everyday devices such as thermostats, dimmer switches, and volume controls. It is also used in scientific research and experimentation.

5. How can I troubleshoot issues with analog signal loop/switch control?

If you are experiencing issues with your analog signal loop/switch control, the first step is to check all physical connections and components for any damage or loose connections. If everything appears to be in working order, then it may be necessary to check the programming or calibration of the system. If the problem persists, it may require the expertise of a trained technician to diagnose and fix the issue.