Was windows7 really my idea? Microsoft false advertising

• Thread starter Ian_Brooks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Idea
In summary: I just don't understand how people can say that they want something and then not get it. In summary, I think that the people that are making these statements are not happy with the direction that Windows7 is taking.
Ian_Brooks
When did windows users get an opportunity to request features for windows7? Why wasn't I told? Essentially isn't windows7 supposed to be vista that works?

Even as a beta tester - it was to check its stability and find bugs. Not to add or remove features.

So have we been had?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I don't see what the big problem with vista is... Its worked fine for me... Of course I would rather have just had win98 but the companys wouldn't make money selling that...

Yeah I have had 0 problems with my Vista too... other than the security always asking if I'm sure I want to run the program haha :D.

I don't know if we should be flattered that Microsoft is claiming to be listening to the people and giving them what they want, or upset because they couldn't figure out on their own that people want something to be easy to use, faster, and less susceptible to viruses. I mean seriously, since computers were developed this has been what people wanted.

I think a better add campaign would be "Surprise! We didn't rush development and used extensive Beta testing, we might have actually produced a really good OS."

False advertising?

It would be impossible to prove that Microsoft didn't listen to any customers.

Personally I hate all advertising. Anyone that gives real thought to a product based on any advertisement will always be 'had'.

In defense of advertising in general, without advertising we would be unaware of most of the products that we own.

I agree though, there really isn't false advertising. I just doubt that they listened to people like these actors that they have making these ridiculously general statements about how they want there OS to work. I also like that it implies that for all these years they were ignoring there customers : )

Pattonias said:
In defense of advertising in general, without advertising we would be unaware of most of the products that we own.

Ha good point. Maybe the point of advertising is to simply get the word out there, some people will hate it, some will like it, some will be indifferent, yet they will all be aware of the product. Here I am giving negative thought to those very ads while using my Windows computer and texting on my blackberry phone.

Maybe it appears that I am the one who has been had!

1. What is the controversy surrounding Microsoft's advertising of Windows 7 as "my idea"?

The controversy surrounding Microsoft's advertising of Windows 7 as "my idea" stems from claims made by former Microsoft employee, Mark Lucovsky, who alleged that CEO Steve Ballmer threw a chair across the room and yelled "f**king kill Google" when he revealed his plans to leave the company for Google. This incident was used as evidence in a lawsuit against Microsoft, suggesting that the company was not open to new ideas and did not value employee input.

2. Was Windows 7 really the idea of one individual?

No, Windows 7 was not the idea of one individual. While Microsoft did gather feedback and suggestions from a variety of sources, including employees and customers, the final product was a collaborative effort of the entire Windows team.

3. Did Microsoft use false advertising in their "my idea" campaign?

The "my idea" campaign by Microsoft was not technically false advertising, as it did not explicitly state that Windows 7 was the idea of one individual. However, the use of the phrase "my idea" in the campaign could be seen as misleading, as it might give the impression that one person was solely responsible for the creation of Windows 7.

4. How did Microsoft respond to the allegations of false advertising?

Microsoft denied any wrongdoing and stated that the "my idea" campaign was meant to highlight the feedback and suggestions they received from a variety of sources, including employees and customers. They also clarified that Windows 7 was a collaborative effort and not the idea of one individual.

5. Has Microsoft faced any consequences for the "my idea" campaign?

No, Microsoft did not face any legal consequences for the "my idea" campaign. The lawsuit against them was eventually dropped, and the campaign did not result in any major backlash or consequences for the company.