Battery efficiency and internal energy

In summary, the efficiency of the battery as an energy storage device is 0.395 and the internal energy produced during one charge-discharge cycle is 0.05925 J.
spyboy

Homework Statement

One rechargeable battery of mass 15.0 g delivers to a CD player an average current of 15.5 mA at 1.00 V for 2.50 hr before the battery needs to be recharged. The recharger maintains a potential difference of 2.00 V across the battery and delivers a charging current of 10.0 mA for 4.90 hr.
a.) What is the efficiency of the battery as an energy storage device? There will be no units for efficiency. (Hint: Efficiency is the ratio of energy used by the CD player to the energy delivered by the charger.)
b.) How much internal energy is produced in the battery during one charge-discharge cycle?

Homework Equations

E=I*V*t
Efficiency = Eout/Ein

The Attempt at a Solution

I got part a easily enough (.395), but part b has me stumped. Initially, I thought that internal energy loss would be the difference between Eout and Ein (Ein-Eout). Eout I got to be .03875 J, and Ein is .098 J. The difference between them is .05925, but this isn't the correct answer. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org

For part b, you are correct in thinking that the internal energy loss is the difference between Eout and Ein. However, you need to consider the charging and discharging separately.

During the discharge, the battery delivers an average current of 15.5 mA at 1.00 V for 2.50 hr, so the energy used by the CD player is:

Eout = (15.5 mA)(1.00 V)(2.50 hr) = 0.03875 J

During the charging, the battery receives a current of 10.0 mA at 2.00 V for 4.90 hr, so the energy delivered by the charger is:

Ein = (10.0 mA)(2.00 V)(4.90 hr) = 0.098 J

The internal energy produced during one charge-discharge cycle is then:

Einternal = Ein - Eout = 0.098 J - 0.03875 J = 0.05925 J

Hope this helps!

1. How is battery efficiency measured?

Battery efficiency is typically measured using the ratio of output energy to input energy. This can be expressed as a percentage, with a higher percentage indicating a more efficient battery.

2. What factors affect battery efficiency?

There are several factors that can affect battery efficiency, including temperature, discharge rate, and the type of battery chemistry used. Higher temperatures can decrease efficiency, while lower discharge rates and certain types of chemistry can improve efficiency.

3. How can I improve the efficiency of my battery?

Some ways to improve battery efficiency include using a lower discharge rate, keeping the battery at a moderate temperature, and using battery chemistries that are known for their high efficiency. Regular maintenance and proper charging can also help maintain efficiency.

4. What is internal energy in a battery?

Internal energy in a battery refers to the energy stored within the battery as a result of chemical reactions. This energy is released when the battery is used to power a device and is replenished when the battery is charged.

5. How does internal resistance affect battery efficiency?

Internal resistance, also known as impedance, can affect battery efficiency by causing energy loss through heat generation. Higher internal resistance can decrease the efficiency of a battery, leading to shorter run times and reduced overall performance.