What Are Some Electricity Questions That Involve Inductors and Capacitors?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of time average and bandwidth for different signals involving cosine functions. The first problem involves a network with only inductors and capacitors, resulting in no power dissipation. The second problem involves sketching a signal with fast oscillations within a slower oscillating boundary. The third problem involves finding the bandwidth of a signal with a product of two cosine functions, which can be simplified by using a sum of cosine functions. The conversation also briefly touches upon the interpretation of w1 and w2 in the second problem.
bon

Homework Statement

1) Where I(t) = Iocoswt, and V' is the voltage across an inductance V' = L dI/dt, I am asked to work out the time average of <I V' >..

when i work it out, the answer comes to zero...any ideas why?

2)I'm asked to sketch I(t) = Acos(w1 t)cos(w2 t) where w2 << w1...

is this just fast oscillations of speed (w2) within a boundary that is itself oscillating (more slowly..) ? so a cos graph within a cos graph with bigger period?

3) Find the bandwith of the signal I(t) = A cos^2 (wt) cos(10wt)..

I know bandwith is the randge of angular frequencies present in I, but here its not just 10wt-wt is it? How do I work it out?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
no ideas?

anyone?

bon said:

Homework Statement

1) Where I(t) = Iocoswt, and V' is the voltage across an inductance V' = L dI/dt, I am asked to work out the time average of <I V' >..

when i work it out, the answer comes to zero...any ideas why?
No power is dissipated in a network with only inductors and capacitors.

2)I'm asked to sketch I(t) = Acos(w1 t)cos(w2 t) where w2 << w1...

is this just fast oscillations of speed (w2) within a boundary that is itself oscillating (more slowly..) ? so a cos graph within a cos graph with bigger period?
yes

3) Find the bandwith of the signal I(t) = A cos^2 (wt) cos(10wt)..

I know bandwith is the randge of angular frequencies present in I, but here its not just 10wt-wt is it? How do I work it out?

cos^2 (wt) is also a product of two cosines, so you can replace it with a sum involving
cos (0) and cos (2wt)

willem2 said:
No power is dissipated in a network with only inductors and capacitors.

yes

cos^2 (wt) is also a product of two cosines, so you can replace it with a sum involving
cos (0) and cos (2wt)

Just a quick questionn about I = Acos(w1 t)cos(w2 t) one..

so w2 << w1 so would w2 be the outer shell, and w1 be the inner, fast oscillations.. how would you describe this?

What is electricity?

Electricity is the flow of electric charge through a conductive material, such as a wire. It is caused by the movement of electrons, which are negatively charged particles.

What are the different types of electricity?

The two main types of electricity are static electricity and current electricity. Static electricity is the buildup of electric charge on the surface of an object, while current electricity is the continuous flow of electric charge through a conductor.

How is electricity generated?

Electricity can be generated in a variety of ways, including through the use of power plants that burn fossil fuels, nuclear reactions, and renewable energy sources such as wind and solar power. Other methods include hydropower, which harnesses the energy of moving water, and geothermal energy, which uses heat from the Earth's core to generate electricity.

What is the difference between AC and DC electricity?

AC (alternating current) electricity is the type of electricity that is used in most homes and businesses. It constantly changes direction as it flows through a circuit. DC (direct current) electricity, on the other hand, flows in only one direction and is commonly used in batteries and electronic devices.

What are some safety precautions for working with electricity?

When working with electricity, it is important to take precautions to avoid electric shock or electrocution. This includes using properly insulated tools, wearing protective gear, and making sure all equipment is properly grounded. It is also important to never touch electrical outlets or wires with wet hands and to never attempt to fix a problem with electricity unless you are qualified to do so.