Reflection loss during absorption spectroscopy

In summary: Hz, with a maximum transmission of 7.4% and 1.48%, respectively. In summary, the problem involves calculating the transmission spectrum of a 10 um thick platelet of an isotropic solid with a refractive index of 10. The platelet shows two absorption bands at frequencies of 3x1012 and 1014 Hz, with maximum light absorption of 50% and 90%, respectively. Taking into account reflection losses using the Fresnel equations, the overall transmission is 14.8%. Using the Beer-Lambert law, the transmission spectrum vs frequency can be calculated, showing two peaks at the absorption band frequencies with maximum transmission of
jm518
An isotropic solid has a refractive index of 10 at low frequencies. A 10 um thick platelet of this solid with perfectly polished planes shows two absorption bands in optical transmission. These bands, corrected for reflection, have a (negative) Gaussian shape. They occur at frequencies of 3x1012 and 1014 Hz, respectively. The maximum light absorption is 50 and 90% respectively. Calculate the transmission spectrum vs frequency including reflection losses.

I have been stuck on this problem all week. I assumed that the absorption of 50 and 90% is able to be converted to 50 and 10% transmission at the two frequencies respectivley. Then I determined the reflectance using Fresnel's law, (n2-n1)^2/(n2+n1)^2, to be 0.67 and therefore the transmittance to be 0.33. Assuming that only one internal reflection occurs in the platelet I calculated the amount of transmission that came through the platelet was 0.109.

I am stuck on how the thickness plays into the equation and how to use the information I have to determine the reflection losses from the transmissions. I am thinking that the beer-lambert law comes into affect somewhere, I/Io = exp(-ux), and also that I should use the kramers kronig transform, but I am unsure how to do that. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks

Science news on Phys.org
for your post! It looks like you have made a good start in your calculations. To determine the transmission spectrum vs frequency, you will need to consider the thickness of the platelet and how it affects the absorption and reflection of light at different frequencies.

First, let's review the basics of the Beer-Lambert law. This law states that the amount of light absorbed by a material is directly proportional to the thickness of the material and the concentration of the absorbing species. In this case, the thickness of the platelet is given as 10 um, and the concentration of the absorbing species is not specified. However, we can assume that the concentration is constant throughout the platelet.

Next, let's consider the reflection losses. As you mentioned, the Fresnel equations can be used to calculate the reflectance at the interfaces of the platelet. However, since there are two interfaces (top and bottom), we need to consider the reflections at both interfaces. This means that the overall reflectance will be the product of the individual reflectances at each interface. In this case, the overall reflectance would be 0.67 * 0.67 = 0.4489.

Now, to determine the transmission spectrum vs frequency, we need to consider the overall transmission of light through the platelet at different frequencies. This can be calculated using the Beer-Lambert law, but we also need to take into account the reflection losses. This can be done by multiplying the transmittance (0.33) by the overall reflectance (0.4489), resulting in a total transmission of 0.148. This means that 14.8% of the incident light will be transmitted through the platelet.

To determine the transmission spectrum, we can plot the percentage of transmitted light at different frequencies. Since we know that the maximum light absorption occurs at 50% and 90% for the two absorption bands, we can use this information to determine the shape of the transmission spectrum. For example, at a frequency of 3x1012 Hz, the transmission would be (100-50)% * 0.148 = 7.4%. Similarly, at a frequency of 1014 Hz, the transmission would be (100-90)% * 0.148 = 1.48%.

Using this approach, we can plot the transmission spectrum vs frequency, taking into account the thickness of the platelet and the reflection losses. The resulting plot should show two peaks

1. What is reflection loss during absorption spectroscopy?

Reflection loss during absorption spectroscopy refers to the amount of light that is reflected off of a sample during the process of analyzing its absorption spectrum. This loss of light can affect the accuracy and precision of the spectroscopic measurements.

2. How does reflection loss occur during absorption spectroscopy?

Reflection loss occurs when light passes through a sample and is reflected off of its surface instead of being absorbed. This can happen due to differences in refractive index between the sample and its surroundings, or due to imperfections on the sample's surface.

3. How does reflection loss affect the accuracy of absorption spectroscopy?

Reflection loss can affect the accuracy of absorption spectroscopy by reducing the amount of light that reaches the detector, leading to lower signal-to-noise ratios and less precise measurements. It can also cause distortions in the absorption spectrum, making it more difficult to accurately determine the absorption peaks.

4. What are some ways to minimize reflection loss during absorption spectroscopy?

There are several techniques that can be used to minimize reflection loss during absorption spectroscopy. These include using anti-reflective coatings on sample surfaces, using a reference sample with similar optical properties, and adjusting the angle of incidence of the light to minimize reflections.

5. Can reflection loss be completely eliminated during absorption spectroscopy?

While it is not possible to completely eliminate reflection loss during absorption spectroscopy, it can be minimized to a point where it does not significantly affect the accuracy of the measurements. This can be achieved through careful sample preparation and use of appropriate techniques to minimize reflections.