Calculating the Spring Constant for Bungee Jumping

In summary: These are the forces that are exerted on the rigging when it is being pulled taut. The bungee cord, being a simple loop of material, is very prone to these forces.In summary, the bungee cord has a spring constant and can be used to calculate the N/m ratio.
wangking
Hey, i need some help here
I'm trying to figure out the spring constant for bungee jump

Say, I'm 735N and the rope will apparently double in length when i jump off it.
I don't know the length of the rope thought.
but i do know it does have a spring constant.
How to find out is the spring constant using the Hooke's Law F=-KX

Please help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
oh, we are trying to find the N/m ratio
how could i do that

F= -k/x --> |k| = F/x you cannot find it without some information on its stretching. O I just read that it doubles in length.

The rope doubles in length when 735N is added, so does that mean that
k would be equal to 735N/the length of the rope.
k = 735 / L

yes. When it has doubled its length it has displaced L from it equilibrium position.

Thanks homie, so is the
(the change in F) proportional to (the change in x) = k

If i were using the f = k x equation, and then use
EPE formula = half k x squared
Which is also equal to GPE so could i say
mgh = half k x squared,
and is the x still L

wangking said:
If i were using the f = k x equation, and then use
EPE formula = half k x squared
Which is also equal to GPE so could i say
mgh = half k x squared,
and is the x still L

Yes, this is the point where all the kinetic energy was converted into elastic potential energy.

If this is more that just a thought exercise you should be aware that at the bottom of the jump impulsive forces equal to approximately twice your weight act on the bungee cord.

There have been fatalities due to cord breakages from this cause.

Anyone who has had dealings with rope rigging will be familiar with snatch forces.

What is the formula for calculating the spring constant for bungee jumping?

The formula for calculating the spring constant for bungee jumping is k = (mg)/x, where k is the spring constant, m is the mass of the jumper, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and x is the length of the bungee cord.

Why is it important to calculate the spring constant for bungee jumping?

Calculating the spring constant is important because it helps determine the strength and elasticity of the bungee cord needed for a safe and successful jump. It also ensures that the jumper will not hit the ground or water too hard and potentially sustain injuries.

What factors can affect the spring constant for bungee jumping?

Factors that can affect the spring constant for bungee jumping include the length and thickness of the bungee cord, the weight of the jumper, and the gravitational pull at the jumping location. Other factors such as wind and temperature can also affect the elasticity of the bungee cord.

How can I measure the spring constant for bungee jumping?

The spring constant can be measured by conducting a series of test jumps with different lengths and thicknesses of bungee cords. By recording the distance the cord stretches and the weight of the jumper, the spring constant can be calculated using the formula k = (mg)/x.

Is there a recommended spring constant for bungee jumping?

There is no universally recommended spring constant for bungee jumping as it can vary depending on the weight and preferences of the jumper. However, experienced bungee jumping companies often have a range of spring constants that they have tested and deemed safe for different types of jumps and locations.