Batteries at freezing temperatures

In summary, the conversation discusses the development of a battery-operated invention for sub-freezing conditions. The person has researched and found that a 9 volt NiMH or lithium battery would work well, but is concerned that the general public may not follow the packaging warning. They suggest integrating a rechargeable battery into the product, but are unsure of the ideal and cost-effective type of battery. The conversation also mentions that NiCd batteries work in colder temperatures but may not be allowed in the EU, while lithium batteries are expensive but can also work in the cold. Finally, the suggestion is made to purchase the desired batteries from an OEM and rebrand them for the product, with the added option of providing support for those specific batteries.
alexwryt
I am trying to develop a battery operated invention that will be used primarily in sub freezing conditions. From what I can tell from my research so far, a simple 9 volt NiMH or lithium will work fine under these conditions. The only problem I foresee though is that when this was eventually a product out on the market, I doubt the general public as a whole would heed the package warning of only using NiMH or lithium batteries

As a workaround I've thought of integrating a rechargeable battery into the product itself but am unsure what type of battery would be ideal and also cheap. (Basically I'd like to be able to turn a DC motor with a small load for at least 2 hours)

Engineering news on Phys.org
NiCd work down to -40°C whereas NiMH, lead acid, LiO stop working at -20°C. NiCd can be recharged, but seems to become illegal now in the EU. Lithium stuff is expensive, but appearently can be made to work in the cold too.

You can always purchase the batteries that you feel would fit best in your device from an OEM. From there, put your companies name on it and add a little premium. Then, only support your device with those said batteries (but of course let your battery chemistry be known)...

1. Can batteries be used in freezing temperatures?

Yes, batteries can be used in freezing temperatures, but their performance and capacity may decrease.

2. How does cold weather affect batteries?

Cold weather can cause the chemical reactions inside batteries to slow down, reducing their ability to produce and store energy.

3. Will freezing temperatures damage batteries?

If a battery is left in freezing temperatures for an extended period of time, it can cause damage or reduce its lifespan.

4. What types of batteries are best for cold weather?

Lithium-ion batteries are typically the best option for cold weather as they perform better in low temperatures compared to other types of batteries.

5. How can I prolong the life of my batteries in freezing temperatures?

You can prolong the life of your batteries in freezing temperatures by keeping them at room temperature when not in use, using insulated coverings or cases, and avoiding overcharging or over-discharging them.