Should I Take Quantum/Classical Mechanics if Not Required for Physics Major?

In summary, the speaker does not want to take the second quarter of quantum mechanics and classical mechanics due to their ability to self-study and a preference for taking graduate level courses in another field. They question if it will matter for admissions into astrophysics grad school and it depends on the program's requirements. The speaker was advised to take the second half of the undergraduate quantum mechanics course to better prepare for graduate level studies. Classical mechanics may not have as big of an impact and the speaker had no issues with only taking one semester of it for their graduate studies in E&M.
Simfish
Gold Member
I don't want to take the second quarter of quantum mechanics, since I can easily self-study the material and since I'd prefer to take graduate level courses in some other field instead. It's not required for the physics major here. Does it matter that much if I don't take it?

Same goes for classical mechanics (although it's more because the teachers teaching it have very negative reputations).

EDIT: Okay, for clarification, I'm only talking about whether or not it will matter for admissions (I actually generally do learn better through self-study than through courses). And mostly with respect to astrophysics grad school.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

It really depends on the astrophysics grad program. Some only require one semester of quantum at the graduate level, some require two. But either way the second half of the course at undergrad would help a lot - my school only offered one semester, so I was told I had to take undergrad quantum 2 before going into graduate quantum mechanics (and I'm glad I did). Classical isn't as big of a problem, and I didn't have any problems in graduate E&M after only taking one semester as an undergrad.

1. Should I take quantum/classical mechanics if it is not required for my physics major?

It depends on your academic and career goals. If you are interested in pursuing a career in physics, taking these courses can provide a strong foundation and help you stand out among other candidates. However, if you are not planning on pursuing a career in physics, it may not be necessary to take these courses.

2. Will taking quantum/classical mechanics benefit me in other areas of study?

Yes, the concepts and problem-solving skills learned in these courses can be applied to other fields such as engineering, chemistry, and computer science. They also develop critical thinking and analytical skills that can be useful in any career.

3. Are quantum/classical mechanics courses difficult?

These courses can be challenging, as they involve complex mathematical concepts and abstract theories. However, with dedication and a strong foundation in math and physics, they can be manageable and rewarding.

4. Is it worth taking quantum/classical mechanics if I am struggling in my current physics courses?

If you are struggling in your current physics courses, it may be beneficial to focus on strengthening your understanding of the fundamentals before diving into more advanced topics. However, if you are determined and willing to put in the extra effort, taking these courses can also help improve your understanding of physics in general.

5. What are the potential career opportunities for someone with a background in quantum/classical mechanics?

A background in quantum/classical mechanics can lead to various career opportunities in research, academia, and industry. Some common career paths include becoming a physicist, engineer, data scientist, or working in fields such as quantum computing, material science, and telecommunications.